Reef Discussion

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
how bigs too big
so i have look at my tank almost every night after lights out and have noiticed a few of the bristleworms are getting quite big 4x30mm approx. what size should i be worried about catching ?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
None IMO - they are just part of the bio-diversity in your tank and do a good job a cleaning up food left by the fish. Are yours 30mm long ?? I've had some extend from rock by around 45cm and their tails are still hidden - and they do get bigger than that.

MVC-248F.JPG

This one was about 20mm across the body, not including the legs - length unknown ;)

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
so 30-40mm is nothing ! shit i thought mine were big but i guess not ! im just worried that theyll attack my fish at night:cry

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
There are a number of different species that we see in our tanks but yours are babies :p To the best of my knowledge I have never lost a fish to a bristleworm - if one dies they will definitely clean up the body but I don't think they have the weapons to attack a fish.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i have a huge one, it acts like a fish comes out for feeds etc, its around 45cm long sleeps next to the fish ive never had an issue :D

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
I'm feeling much better cause they have been coming out right where my new gramma female has decided her nest will be....

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
the only time i have seen them take on a fish is when it is practically dead. they will then move in and clean up the mess, IMO thats a good thing!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Wasn't sure what to expect when I opened this thread :p

I also think they are beneficial. Even though its not nice to watch, all sorts of creatures marine and otherwise that are good at 'cleaning up' will move in on animal that is not quite dead yet. Flies, ants etc do it too. It can be easy to mistake them for causing the problem in the first place when you see them doing it, but they are just doing their job.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I was just continuing what Megan started in a previous thread

I dont know what those other Guys are saying :p