Reef Discussion

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Some species of Stomatopods have shown signs of having greater intelligence then that of Cephalopods!

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Wow ! I've watched docos an cephs and there amazing scary to think their smarter than that ..... Occys have shown signs of deductive reasoning and secondary tool use... As in I use this tool to get that tool to get my food.....

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
now I'm, hijacking the thread -_- lol...

Yet another area that adds to the intelligence of stomatopods is there communication rates!

Hermit Crabs communicate at about 1.5 bits per second
Fire Ants pheromone trails at about 1.4 bits per second
Honeybee Dancer communicate at about 2 bits per second
Human speech communication is at about 6-12 bits per second

Stomatopods communicate at about 8.6 bits per second

Whats it mean ?

Well lets say that if Professor Frink from the simpsons created a 'device' capable of allowing creatures to speak english, while most creatures although still able to speak english through the strange "device" would be to slow / stupid to have a coherent conversation with...... however you could actually sit down and have a full blown conversation with a stomatopod, there that chatty!

Although communication between 2 stomatopods are usually threats, just think of them as "Meth Heads"

Mantis 1:"Step over this line go on I DARE YOU COME ON!!!"
Mantis 2:" What line? I see no line, your full of S**T!"
Mantis 1:" I DARE YOU come on I DARE YOU!!"
Mantis 2: "If you think you even have the slightest chance of beating me your dead wrong!"
Mantis 1: "F**K Off this is MY realm...."

Fight breaks out.

Mantis 1: "I Told you... I TOLD YOU! What would happen!!!"
Mantis 2: "What ?! You didn't say S**T!?"
Mantis 1: "F**K You!"

Fight breaks out...again...

When 2 mantis shrimp meet up a fight will break out and the communication sent back and forth are all threats, the smaller mantis shrimp tend to do battle with one another more so then the larger species, almost like humans, as we get older we get wiser and "talk" it down rather then escalate it to the point of physical confrontation. So you can almost consider the smaller mantis shrimps as the "teenagers/young adults" whilst the larger mantis shrimp are more like "Adults/Grandparents" in there manner.

Having said all that, Mantis shrimp rarely fight to the death, they prefer to spar having said that sometimes one will be to overzealous and kill his/her opponent then feast on there remains, but that is no where near as common as simple sparring sessions =)

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Weight for Weight Stomatopods may be the most formidable living entity on the PLANET!

We are more then lucky that they don't reach our size, there would be no reason to fear anything in the ocean besides the stomatopod....

Not even a fully grown Great White Shark would stand a chance against a human sized stomatopod, infact it be mere childs play to the stomatopod.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
Weight for Weight Stomatopods may be the most formidable living entity on the PLANET!

We are more then lucky that they don't reach our size, there would be no reason to fear anything in the ocean besides the stomatopod....

Not even a fully grown Great White Shark would stand a chance against a human sized stomatopod, infact it be mere childs play to the stomatopod.

I saw a couple of pistol shrimps sort one out one day , I was very surprised :eek
It was two on one tho

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Pistol Shrimps are the Mantis Shrimps nightmare

'There is always a bigger fish' by that I don't just mean in size but by the cycle, the Shrimp and Goby pairing is interesting as well, the Goby will pair up with the shrimp because the Pistol is basically blind and the Goby has much better sight, the shrimp provides a burrow for the Goby and whilst the blind shrimp digs the Goby stands guard...the only thing preventing the Goby from being killed by the practically Blind Pistol shrimp is a consistent rhythmic vibrations against the Pistol shrimp letting the shrimp know that it is just Him. Once the Goby spots trouble like a Mantis shrimp, it Alarms the Pistol shrimp sending it into battle whilst the Goby hides in the burrow, the pistol shrimp will kill the mantis most of the time anyway...

I read a detailed report about it in a CORAL magazine =)

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
The fact that pistols create a superheated pocket of steam from the snapping of there claw scares the shit out of me !

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
It scares the shit outta you

but

I find it extremely interesting :D such power for a creature so small is unbelievable

That jet stream of micro bubbles it creates when it snaps its claw shut can reach a temperature equal to the SUN!

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Yeah that's what I mean..... The energy it produces is rediculously immense ! Imagine having your finger near it when it snaps ?!?!

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Personally I find fear and intrigue go hand in hand ! I have kept all sort of weird things just so I could observe them...... Red backs funnel webs bird eating spiders snakes scorpions ...... The list goes on and next I think is the blue ring just gotta setup a "sealed" tank for it first cause my 6 month old baby girl will soon have her fingers into everything !

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Good way to child proof the octo tank is to just have it higher then they can reach and rite out of the way.

Helps prevent curious little hands from becoming potential prey...

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Yeah I may well look into turning my ibox into its tank..... Make a Perspex lid that is lockable so that the occy can't get crispy on the kitchen floor ;-)