Keep or throw away..?

• Throw away

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gunners85

May 23, 2013
Help with ID put them in tank or toilet??
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hey guys! Just got back from LFS and bought corals.. After putting them in the tank I noticed that these must have been stuck on the coral... What are they and should I put them in the tank? Quick response would be great as I'm not sure how much longer they will stay alive for.. They all move and wiggle...

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
this may be one of two things. Either flatworms that were on the coral (which I doubt) or more likely a nudibranch (coral eating) that has been on the coral and subsequently damaged during transport. Looks to be the main part of the nudibranch on the right hand side of the photo above, with the broken cerata forming the little brown things. I suspect that the nudibranch would have looked something like the image below (taken from the net):

aaquariumcoraldiseases.weebly.com_uploads_1_1_8_3_11839583_625957.jpg

Gunners85

May 23, 2013
The wiggly things seem to attach themselves to the main slug looking thing.. So I'm guessing its a pest and I should not put it in my tank as it will eat my coral?

Attachments

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
@dr_schell, I didn't think berghia species were in Australia?

Can you confirm this, they appear to be the primary aiptasia defence in the USA?

To the OP, I recommend you freeze all these creatures, flushing them down the toilet would be a horrible death, no creature should be subjected to this end. Whilst freezing alive could be considered cruel, it's considerably more humane.

Nice post by the way, its always better to know than not. These flatworms can be difficult to eradicate from the DT.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Not sure if Berghia verrucicornis occurs in the pacific, however there are Australian species that appear very similar and have the same feeding preferences to this species. I cannot positively identify the Nudibranch from the image, which is I said that it may have been Berghia verrucicornis or a similar species. For example, Australian species such as the Ornate Aeolid (Austraeolis ornata) and the Fiona Nudibranch (Fiona pinnata) both appear superficially similar to Berghia verrucicornis. Both of these Australian species are known to consume Aptasia.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Your poll isn't allowing voting.

Don't flush it - freeze it then bin it. Ecologically safer and more humane.

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
sounds to me like a good idea. However, be aware that it has the potential to feed on other anemones and corals. If it cannot access these, why not give it a try!
I would hate for it to get in my sump then, I don't know how it would go from Victoria to nsw in this weather?

Gunners85

May 23, 2013
Hey guys.. Thanks again.. Hes still in the container moving around, Im keeping him warm and alive for anyone that wants him..Ive got some peppermints in the tank eating the aptasia, so don't really need him.. If no one wants him Ill freeze him tonight and dispose of him correctly.. Hope none of the flat worms got in my tank.. :confused:....

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
I'll take him mate but I'm in nsw, I could post an overnighter but I think it would take a couple of days. Not sure if you would want to wait and keep him alive?

Gunners85

May 23, 2013
Im happy to.. If he can stay alive that long.. If you have any suggestions as to try and ensure that he survives then Im more than happy to do that..

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
The only thing I can suggest is put it in a container with some holes in your tank, but I wouldn't want you to risk it getting in your tank man