Reef Discussion

Shaun3350

Feb 19, 2014
Shepparton
Ebay Lights
Hello

Before you start why I shouldn't there are reasons why, mainly budget.
There will be very little if any SPS under them. Mainly softies and LPS.
It's for an almost 2 ft cube.

I am looking at these two lights.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WIFI-Dim...915512?hash=item3cfd7dc3b8:g:AIUAAOSwMmBVkmnl

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah267_hyebayphoto_165_20WIFI_165W_20wifi_201_20_zpsacoang7k.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WIFI-Ful...285287?hash=item3cec7764a7:g:U3oAAOSwLVZVk09e

ai448.photobucket.com_albums_qq203_sales0011_169w_20wifi__1_201_zpss9pyjlnz.jpg

I'm after any advice between the 2. with only $20 difference. It appears it's just the LED setup is whats different about them.

Thanks
Shaun

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
I'm no expert on leds so quality, longevity etc aside, I don't like the 169 watt one at all, the light is too focused in two spots, like spotlights, the one with the individual leds looks better. Also the blues are of such low wattage they will have little effect except visually.

Your biggest problem is likely to be rust. I have some early Daluas and they rust if the guy two blocks away waters his garden.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I use the SUPAR CHINABOX lights on runs with good luck. I only hold corals for a short period, but one of my personal QT systems ahs them on it and everything's doing great in there.

jaspass

Jul 22, 2013
Brisbane
Fish streets coral box moon led might be worth a look, should fit your budget. I'm not qualified to comment on the lights in question as I don't know any one who runs them but I have wondered about them myself. Probably don't need 165 watts on a 2 foot cube though.

E

ezza

I was reading something about the fish street stock. One of their lights is basically Maxspect Razor... Just from the other side of the factory! Beamswork EVO or somesuch... It's well priced too. Personally, I would take the chance with fish street over a random person on eBay with something you don't know the origin of.

The coral box unit looks great. It seems that a 2 foot cube would be fine with one of those puck lights. Their info contains a link to a review from a Dutch reefing forum.

Feature
  • 2 Different type of the Lens Kits 90/ 120 degree installation for 10"Inch to 30"Inch

jaspass

Jul 22, 2013
Brisbane
I was looking at the moon leds but couldn't work out how many i needed. and couldn't find anyone that had used them
I have Three of them on my 5 Foot and they are awesome, easy to use via the app fully customizable program. I'd have no problem recommending them.

MaccaPopEye

Nov 4, 2015
I don't have the exact same LED light you posted but I have 3 of the Mars Aqua ebay LED lights which are essentially the same. And they do fine with softies, LPS and SPS, only difference between the Mars Aqua and the first one in your post is probably the lack of wifi in the Mars Aqua units. And yes they do use a computer power cable so if they don't come with Aus plugs you can get cables pretty cheap.

But if I was buying today I would also be considering the coral box moon LEDs.

Shaun3350

Feb 19, 2014
Shepparton
Yea I bought the eBay lights and after getting them wish I had god the coral box ones.
Unfortunately my Chinese English isn't real good. and most of what I thought the did they don't.
Like lightning and real weather. must of got them mixed up with something else.
On the plus side the corals seem to like them and they are quiet and where delivered in less than a week.

I'll get a couple of Coral Box ones when I get some money and put this one on the bosses 2 foot cube.
It's got basically the same thing but not automatic sunrise & sunset.