Reef Discussion

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Curly Starfish Thing?
A couple of these came in on some rock, no idea what they are but they look to be some kind of invert, had a trawl around the web but didn't come up with anything.
IMG_1202.jpg

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Cool as!! I think they might be a kind of anemone that has a really potent sting. Trying to think of the name.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
"Fire Anemone
Actinodendron glomeratum

So I do my usual thing of petting my anemone, and out of my surprise this fire anemone upon touch it sting a bit like the carpet anemone (S.haddoni), so I was thinking it's nothing too bad. This thing is very evil thou, it leaves traces of its tenacles sticking to your skin, and the really painful and scary part actualy comes in 3-5 seconds after I touch the anemone's tenacles. OH MY GOSH, it stings like I am literally burnt by a lighter, and not just a quick burn but burning under a light for 3-5 seconds. The pain was ultra intense and I had to find water to immediately wash it for a long time to get rid of the immediate pain. After that, it is still painful to even move my fingers, the part that was burn had a bit of red & swelling. It is almost 7 hours since and I can still feel the pain, it's almost like you were burnt by a fire.

Just a warning to anybody who likes to pet their anemones In the past, I have touched and get stung by various BTA , sebae, LTA , carpet etc..etc.., nothing is as crazy as this, the worst was more like a little sunburn that is gone after a day or two. I guess the name fire anemone really mean something."

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1268045

laughing_cat (1).gif

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Best excuse I can think of to make a species tank :P
Anything you don't want, just throw in there. Fish.. child... puppy...

Reading the stories of those things, a guy was stung through multiple bags trying to get one out of his tank :eek.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Okay then..... Perhaps I should put it in with some aiptasia and see who wins? Would anyone want them?

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
There are two, free to good homes. They eat fish so I can't keep them. That and they're likely to multiply and give people a nice sting when they receive their morph orders :( And will probably sting me when I'm fiddling in my tanks.

@Agent M you can pick up yours anytime.

@MichelleShocked how about I send 1 up to you sometime in the new year? Shouldn't be much postage for such a ity bitty thing.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
There are two, free to good homes. They eat fish so I can't keep them. That and they're likely to multiply and give people a nice sting when they receive their morph orders :( And will probably sting me when I'm fiddling in my tanks.

@Agent M you can pick up yours anytime.

@MichelleShocked how about I send 1 up to you sometime in the new year? Shouldn't be much postage for such a ity bitty thing.
*yay* sure :) i can send you a post pack if you pm me ur details :)

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Looked up the Hellfire Anemone (apparently they REEEAAAALLLLY burn lol) and found this site about anemones and animals that live in symbiosis with them.
It seems that some species of the branching anemone host shrimp - wouldnt it be cool if these ones did that? I'm going to read some more because im interested to know how nem knows not to eat the shrimp (or how the shrimp avoids being eaten)
Its interesting how many marine species are symbiotic - wouldnt it be cool to have a tank dedicated to each symbiotic relationship? *knows what she'd spend the money on if she wins lotto*
:D

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I noticed that too when I googled it, there was pic of a sexy shrimp on one too, got the wheels turning in my invert-loving little mind (which you and I share as I've just learnt!). I also didn't realise there are different species but looks like its less than 10 it could be, so the latin name I posted above might not be a correct ID. I'm just hoping its not the one that grows to 30cm. All of them burn from the looks of it. Although I'm not an anemone patting freak like the guy above, I think my chances of not copping a sting are better! :p

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Looks like the anemone, but pretty sure Shirly that they are actually mouths (or feeding parts thereof) from holuthrians. You get these little black ones that live in crevices and holes in the rocks, very hard to notice them till they start to feed.

Those fire anemones live in the sand and a small one is the size of a dinner plate.

Pete

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Being insatiably curious, i just googled holothrians and in my travels found exactly the sort of person who would pet an anemone.
2013-12-22 18.18.29.png

So there you go......