Reef Discussion

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Can you verify what "propped" actually means ? The person I purchased the haddoni's had sliced one into half, using a very sharp/sterilised knife & board, dipping the anemone(s) in a sterile solution, then allowing them to recover in the tank....the previous attempt resulted in the other half dying.....I don't think I'll have the guts to do it.....

Is there a reason why the anemones are in a basket ? ...awesome colours..
Propped = Propogated

They usually put anemones in baskets or in a tank lined with carpet/mesh to prevent them attaching to anything when wanting to sell them or move them.

I believe that is his quarantine tank so would not have been in there too long just enough time to ensure all is healthy and probably ensuring the clowns hosted

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
Can you verify what "propped" actually means ? The person I purchased the haddoni's had sliced one into half, using a very sharp/sterilised knife & board, dipping the anemone(s) in a sterile solution, then allowing them to recover in the tank....the previous attempt resulted in the other half dying.....I don't think I'll have the guts to do it.....

Is there a reason why the anemones are in a basket ? ...awesome colours..
fish filleting knife/scalpel - no dipping - 4 years on mine still going, other half i got sold several times last i knew about a year ago was still alive

basket is just for holding so they dont walk into a powerhead - common practice in holding facilities

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
also forgot to mention i have never kept a hadoni so i cant give first hand advise, but what i know of them they are sand dwelling specific species so assume they require sand long term.