Reef Discussion

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
update -

I dont think this one is gonna pull through, alot more tissue regression on nearly all the heads, maybe have one or two survive if I am lucky.

after a little reseach I did read that candy canes, if they do "die" can sometimes regrow given time and good water quality. I have been doing weekly changes of around 25%, maybe a tad less. I also have started using NSW collected from clean waters (love the beaches up here in hervey bay). another three or four WC and the tank will be completely NSW and I should start to see a vast improvement.
in saying this, since the first NSW water change a couple of days ago I have seen some good things.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Sorry to hear. If it does die, keep the skeleton in the tank - I currently have a Scolymia that was in the live rock bin and severely receded. I bought it knowing it would recover and half of the tissue did come back, but soon after I stopped looking after my tank for quite a while and it was the only LPS that just completely died (or so I thought). Now that I've been restoring the tank over the last few weeks, upgraded the lighting and increased flow, as well as feeding the corals - it is growing back surprisingly quickly :) It's amazing

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
yea bit of a bugger but it was always a 50/50 wasnt it.

cool megan :D great to hear it come back for you!

I was going to keep it in there aswell, as you said they can regrow and come back well. which I am hoping will happen as I do like the candy canes :)
and this is the info and experience I have read on everything I have searched in regards to candy cane probs a alot of them said it died and they left it in the tank to find that they had started regrowing some weeks to months later.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
thanks mate, your input has been muchly appreciated too :D we can only do what we can and you have done everything you can too, the advice and info you gave helped and I look at it as a learning experience :D