Reef Discussion

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
candy cane coral- got a piece given to me
gday Reefers :)

well at the LFS today just lookin and wishing as I can do, I noticed a candy cane that wasnt looking great but did look alive and I asked what the deal with it was and the LFS owner said it was a piece that broke off another one he had but sold that part. the part that broke was the stony stalk, anyways he knew what happened to my tank and was kind enough to give me the candy cane as he didn't think he could sell it. now since in my tank it seems somewhat more happy, I still see a fair bit of skeleton white but there is the purple membrane over this just a tad transluscent.

its in the top third of the tank with a moderate flow to it, what I have been reading is they dont like to much flow and also like it a little darker. would moving it to the sand and less flow be a better option?

on another note the BTA I have is going great, good extension and is happily clamped to LR with some nice bubble tips. so I figure the water must be going well for that to be happy. from what I have read the BTA arent keen on crap parameters.

hopefully the candy cane comes back as I like them, but like I said the heads arent looking to flash. so...

any thoughts?

ps. will get pics as I know you are gonna want them!

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
not looking to good hey.
candy cane receded.jpg

it was whiter than this at the LFS.
I know the pic is a bit bright but point and shoot digital 3mp camera is all I have!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Sounds like you've done what you can and now its just a matter of waiting and seeing! I have seen LPS coral with much less tissue on them than that come back to good health so I think it has a really good chance, but you can never say for sure.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
cheers for the confirmation guys! its good to get that sometimes. book knowledge is one thing, first hand experience is another :D

it actually has a little brother aswell, there was a branch on the piece given to me that was hanging out making it hard for placement, since it had originally snapped off at the stony part then I couldnt see why another piece snapped off would hurt, so there is the heads in that pic, and another smaller three heads in another part of the tank, see if that gets better too, maybe two for the price of none! gotta be frugal (spelling?) these days hey :D

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
hi guys.

just another check up on the CC.

as can be seen hre are the pieces again.

candy and nem 001.JPG

this one is the three head piece I took off the main piece given to me. colour is still pretty good. but hasnt wanted to come out yet at all. but seeing that membrane there still gives me hope. this one is at the bottom of the tank but has no obstruction to light.

candy and nem 002.JPG

this is the main piece that the top pic was snapped/fragged from. still showing signs of the membrane.

this one I have moved in under a bit of LR to give it a little protection from the light. I moved it from its original location I stated above as I called the LFS that I got it from and they said to try move it if it hasnt come out after a couple of days. so it is in the bottom third of the tank.
main piece has some light protection. fragged piece is exposed. fragged piece is lookin better than the main piece.

so are we still of the assumption it will pull through?

even when the lights are out it isnt coming out, not even the feeders. been reading they are nocturnal feeders but havent had any luck with getting it to open. any thoughts?

jamie :D

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
This was a picture of mine
Candy-Cane.jpg

After I fragged it, two of the polyps put out their feeders that night but the other one was about 3 weeks later.

jashay, you have a lot of tissue recession on yours but with good conditions it may pull through.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
thanks guys. thats what I was thinking.

the one I have is more of a purple white band as compared to shanes.

cheers.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
not 100% suree Matty. I did I quick google on it and the amount of results that come up with candy cane and blasto that come up was quite a large amount. so definately possible.

on another note I was just checking things out tonight, turned out the white lighting for my tank and just left the actinic on. there was some of the bright green colour in the centres of the polyps. zoxanthellae! or at least I beleive so. not a huge amount but it was there. most of the heads had at least a little of this. several of them even though small, was definately there and quite see-able.

so fingers just crossed and hoping it all pulls through.

jamie :)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Relation simply refers to Evolution, which is an unproven theory that we use to classify life. So where something has a close resemblence or some other notable feature it is said to be 'related' or is similar to.There can be a huge variance in appearance within the same genus.

Blasto is short for Blastomussa :)

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
cheers megan :)

trumpet and bullseye are all part of the caulastrea genus. ;)

will have to have a looky at the blasto :)

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Coral-Reefs
is always a good site to start off with researching different corals
this is one of the first sites I get too with google searches!

Blastomussa wellsi is one of my favourite corals, definitely recommend them :p
when I checked these out I can see why they are really nice! also love the - hedgehog coral (Echinopora Sp). hedgehog is so cool! I love em, any one seen one in Aus? or has one they would like to share?? ;)

also the tongue coral (Herpolitha limax) is absolutely awesome!