Help / Suggestions

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Nope.

The other day someone posted something in the new tank journal thread and were told that we could go back and edit them at any time. If not, what would be the point of the new system and having sub-threads like "inhabitants" or "FTS" if we can't keep adding to them?

But thank you for checking :-)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Nope.

The other day someone posted something in the new tank journal thread and were told that we could go back and edit them at any time. If not, what would be the point of the new system and having sub-threads like "inhabitants" or "FTS" if we can't keep adding to them?

But thank you for checking :)
@The Reefuge ??

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
And just to clarify, I don't just mean my run-of-the-mill posts. I mean the "add update thread" opening posts.

I'm completely open to the idea that I misinterpreted the post I had read, but if that IS the case, I'd like to put forward the suggestion that at least premium members can continue to make updates to these opening posts to keep the journals neat and tidy (which is the whole idea). Better that than people having to scroll through (potentially) pages of comments to find out the current inhabitants of my tank lol

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @TheJordans,

Posts have a time limit on being edited (updates made into the journal). Updates are also normal threads, which means the follow the rules of the forum. The edit link will disappear from the thread after the time has expired.

With the FTS, etc, you can lock the thread to prevent users from posting in it, and simply use the thread for dedicated FTS photos. You can also stick the thread.

If I am understanding what you are saying regarding the journal, I am assuming the Tank Journal Tools > Edit Tank Journal link is missing? This can be found above your thread list and can be edited at any time. If this is indeed the case please let me know and I will fix it tomorrow.

Thanks.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
I'mquote="The Reefuge, post: 111881, member: 1"]Hello @TheJordans,

Posts have a time limit on being edited (updates made into the journal). Updates are also normal threads, which means the follow the rules of the forum. The edit link will disappear from the thread after the time has expired.

With the FTS, etc, you can lock the thread to prevent users from posting in it, and simply use the thread for dedicated FTS photos. You can also stick the thread.

If I am understanding what you are saying regarding the journal, I am assuming the Tank Journal Tools > Edit Tank Journal link is missing? This can be found above your thread list and can be edited at any time. If this is indeed the case please let me know and I will fix it tomorrow.

Thanks.[/quote]

I'm trying to update my Update Thread to keep the Tank Journal neat and tidy which (from my understanding) was the desired goal of Tank Journals.

When the thread advising users of the new TJ system was started, we were advised to keep the opening page brief, ie a paragraph. I re-wrote my journals to adhere to this request and in doing so moved information regarding inhabitants etc to their own pages.

I'll admit to being really disappointed to find out now, after all of that work, that though we're meant to consider ourselves as the "moderators" of our TJ "micro communities" we're in fact no better off than we were before :-( I was enthused at the idea of being able to keep a constantly evolving up-to-date record on here of our tanks' ups and downs. Now I'm kind of feeling like it was a bit of a waste.

I don't want for followers to have to read through each of my posts (again, potentially pages worth, even in the absence of other people's comments) just to try and piece together what I have in my tank.

I see a lot of "thread deletions" in my future in my attempt to keep accurate records at the top of the screen for readers.

Is there no way that you could implement such a system that authors are able to edit their update opening posts? Surely I'm not the only member who would benefit from this, and it would go a long way in helping you to achieve your vision for the TJs on this site.

Thoughts? And sorry if this is more blunt than usual. I'm out and using my phone so don't have the luxury of a proper keyboard.

Last edited:

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @TheJordans,

I think I need to explain exactly how the tank journal system works and why it is laid out the way it is :) However before I start it is important to point out why users have a limited time on editing their own posts - forum wide.

Allowing unlimited time on editing posts is a security risk to the forum. It allows spammers to simply make a few posts, wait until the thread drops out of popularity and then add in their spam. It also allows users to go back to old content they have made and either delete it or modify it, changing the way the content was displayed in the first place. Thus there is a 15 minute time limit for registered users to edit their posts, and a longer time period (1 week) for 'Premium Members'. This is based on the belief that users who choose to support the site by paying for account upgrades will not be likely to try and compromise the site. Because of this, some things must work around these rules, and tank journals fall into the category.

Understanding Journals
Tank Journals are there to specifically emulate reading a book. The idea is a user can go to any tank journal and simply flick through updates from start to end (bypassing all user comments if they wish to do so) and track the exact evolution of the tank itself. This means anything the owner does to the tank is documented and easily accessed. In order to do this, each update must be its very own thread within the journal. This way, a user simply clicks on a journal, views the quick rundown, then proceeds to read the journal in any way they wish.

Initial Creation

Your initial Tank Journal creation is simple. It allows the user to give the journal a title and a basic description that should be around a paragraph in length. This is there specifically to allow the reader to get a basic understanding of what sort of tank you have, basic hardware and what you plan to do with the tank. This information can be edited at any point in time simply by clicking "Tank Journal Tools > Edit Tank Journal". This is available above all of your updates (threads) on your main Tank Journal Page. Please keep in mind that this can be edited at any point in time.

Updating Journal
Whenever you want to add an update to your journal, simply think of it as adding a new thread within a forum. Your journal is the forum, and the update is the thread. When you update, you can include images, links, etc. The updates should have a descriptive title. For example "Added a skimmer". This will allow the reader to know that this update is about a skimmer being added. The content of this update can include images of the skimmer, where you purchased the skimmer from, how you installed it, etc. However, please keep in mind that you can not go back and edit this update past your accounts edit limit (15 minutes for registered users, 1 week for Level 2 premium users). So, once the edit date has expired, the content is locked in to place.

Dedicated Updates
You can however make dedicated update threads. As an example, you would like a dedicated thread within your journal that allows you to post a FTS of your tank. You do not want users to be able to comment in this thread as it is there simply for your to post image after image of a FTS of your tank. However, your edit time restriction still apply (which is fine). What you can do is create an update within your journal and name it something like "Full Tank Shots Thread". Your first post in that thread can let the users know that every time you take a FTS you will update that thread with an image of the tank.

Simply post up a FTS image and post the thread as normal. Now you have a dedicated thread in your journal in which you would use to solely post FTS of your tank. What you can then do is click the little check box in the title (on the main journal page) or click on 'Thread Tools' in the thread page itself. You can lock the thread and make it sticky. This will mean that the thread now shows up at the top of all your updates in your journals main page. It also means since it is locked users are not able to reply to it. However, you being the owner of the journal can reply to it any time you like.

You can then navigate to your FTS thread and reply to it with another FTS. You can keep doing this every time you take a FTS. This thread will display the time the post was made in it, allowing users to see how your tank is evolving. Please note, I would recommend that the FTS thread have no information posted with each FTS. Simply add the photo and post it. If you would like to add more news, create a new update for the FTS so users reading your journal will not miss it.

Now, if you really want to start getting funky with your journal you can simply to go 'Tank Journal Tools > Edit Tank Journal'. This will take you back to your tank journal set up page. You can then add something like;

Quick Links: FTS

Then link the "FTS" to your FTS thread. This will allow users to navigate to the thread from your tank journals description. As you are not editing your posts in the FTS thread, only adding to them, it will mean after time users will be able to see what your tank looked like initially, and by scrolling see how it is changing just from the photos. This is a very, very watered down version of a tank journal itself, solely dedicated to FTS of your journal.

You can also add in things in addition to the FTS thread such as live stock, hardware, etc. But please note, you do not want too many of these threads as it will ultimately destroy your journal (as there will be a bunch of locked and stuck threads in your journal). 2 or 3 of these threads should be more than enough to keep a nice, neat, easy to access and read tank journal.

Please also keep in mind, these threads should not be considered updates, and information in these threads should be minimal and basic. Updates should be made in their own unlocked, non-sticky threads.

The journals a set up to work like what your 'Update Thread' aimed to do. This gets rid of the need for an 'Update Thread' as the journal itself acts as a similar feature.

I would also like to quickly point out that the forum keeps track of what you have read, when you read it, etc. This means if a user reads your FTS thread and you make more updates in it whilst the user is away, when the user reads it again it will take them to the first post they have not read within the thread, not back to the start.

But as stated previously, the journals are made to be read like a diary. 2 or 3 dedicated threads will be fine (again, with basic, minimal information), however proper updates should be made in addition to content added into the dedicated threads.

I hope this explains it a bit more.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
@thereefuge, everytime i reply with and emoticon, i get a error msg, saying i cant do that. Yet the post still uploads. Tried to get a screenshot but it goes to quickly.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@The Reefuge when I use the Prev or Next navigation buttons to move through a thread, or click on the actual page numbers I get taken to the last post on the page rather then the first??

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
@The Reefuge when I use the Prev or Next navigation buttons to move through a thread, or click on the actual page numbers I get taken to the last post on the page rather then the first??
Strange... It is working for me. Is there a cetain thread this is causing the problem on?

Thanks.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I was at work - It seems to be good at home.

We are still using IE ?? at work - the new smilies don't work there either so I suspect it is a compatibility issue.

Thanks

Last edited:

vman

Go you Mighty Roosters !!!!
Oct 8, 2011
sydney 2036
i would like to report a bug.

Last nite when i went to bed i was almost assleep and i felt a tickling in my ear and a bug was crawling into my ear hole.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@The Reefuge not sure if this is a bug as such but we appear to have lost the post count on the member section to the left of the post.

Personally I think this is important information and can change the tone of a response.