Reef Discussion

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
What type of pallets do you guys use?
I'm about to start up a reactor in a couple weeks and switch over from zeolite stones (to time consuming for my current work schedule)
Hey @Sarg what size fitting is on the top of your reactor? I'm making my own recirculating reactor and just about to buy the john guest fittings
this what I am using
http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4989&catID=2
Oscar & Josh it took me about 8 weeks b4 i seen a change but i started very slow with min amount.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
I recon it was about 6-8 weeks for me. Nitrate went pretty quick phos took a bit longer.

Your numbers are already low though so I recon your transition will be fairly easy.
wow just read your no3 and no4 is all 0.0000. OMG I WANT IT!!! lol My tank needs to be cleaner!!!

Last edited:

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Don't think your tank can get to much cleaner lol

About to do some tests as I have had the reactor turned down a touch and been feeding a little more.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Fed the tank zeo stuff this morning but that shouldn't matter to much...

Phos .03
Nitrate faintest amount of pink I think so under maybe .05 as it was less than the the lowest colour which is .1

jayellul

Sep 6, 2013
What type of pallets do you guys use?
I'm about to start up a reactor in a couple weeks and switch over from zeolite stones (to time consuming for my current work schedule)
Hey @Sarg what size fitting is on the top of your reactor? I'm making my own recirculating reactor and just about to buy the john guest fittings
I'm using TLF but want to try Warner Marine. All the guys I. The states are using them and live them.

I'm now up to ~350ml running on my 120lt system. N03 is 3ppm and p04 is .09

I've been adding 50ml every month watching my levels. Reactor is nearly full hahahaha!

If I ever get zeros I'll put an auto pellet feeder on to balance it out :-)

Corals are looking nice and some are showing some better growth too which is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Have a look at Dr Tim's reef pearls. He'll of alot cheaper than Warner marine and made specificly for aquariums. The do work well!

Robbie I to get patches of cyno here and there but I have not had any increase in cyno at all. The tank used to get twice as much as what it gets now. I wonder wether the people who report cyno are running the outlet directly into there skimmer and even wether the skimmer is up to the task.

Also what is the slime people talk about from pellets? What does it look like? I haven't noticed any on the pellets or anywhere else?

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
I'm not running my reactor into my skimmer and haven't had any cyano at all. I had little patches before but now nothing about a month and a half of running

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
How's everyone's reactors going?? Thinking about setting one up to try and get rid of hidden nutrients, as I have a fair amount of algae in the tank at the moment and it isn't making a decline

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Great! Phos and nitrate undetectable no algae blooms (I have algae in and off but it conincides with changes to the lights) and awesome growth and colour in zoas and sps growing and holding colour. Couldn't be happier and wish I'd done it 12 months ago!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I think I'm pretty much sold on getting one, it seems my tank needs a little help with lowering them. It's all 'undetectable' but the algal growth say the complete opposite! As much as I'd love to run a full zeo setup, I just don't have the funds and given my skimmer is more than capable of handling anything really lhaha I think I might get myself a compact reactor to add to the tank and hope it does me some good :)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Don't get me too excited ;) hahaha I seriously hope it's the bump along the tank needs, the corals are happy enough and so is the clam but I'd love that little bit more and a large amount of algae gone!

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
just make sure you start off slow, only add a quarter of the recommended amount and build up slowly as/if needed.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Yep, doing plenty of research at the moment :) Including which reactor I'd like to get, I wouldn't mind a decent low profile recirculating one.
Thanks for the heads up :)

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
Mines all going well, up to the recommended amount. No algae in tank at all, scraping glass once a week but it's only small patches could go 2 for it to be noticeable. Only getting small hair algae in sump after reactor

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
i calculated the zee cost to about $5 a week for my 400L tank. It looks like you havnt bought a lot with your money as the bottles are so small but they do last a long time. stones $18 every 6-8 weeks . Zeobak 50ml $80 will last a year. Zeostart3 250ml $42 will last a year. Just a thought lol ps did i mention i need a zeo friend.​

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
i calculated the zee cost to about $5 a week for my 400L tank. It looks like you havnt bought a lot with your money as the bottles are so small but they do last a long time. stones $18 every 6-8 weeks . Zeobak 50ml $80 will last a year. Zeostart3 250ml $42 will last a year. Just a thought lol ps did i mention i need a zeo friend.​
I so want a full zeo setup but the costs (which are actually nothing :p), how do you go time-wise and maintenance and all that jazz? Come on, sell it to me @OSCAR85 :p Make me believe you need the friend hahaha