Reef Discussion

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Looks like the first type of algae you get in a new tank.
- turbo snails, trachus snails will munch.
- certain fish love this algae rabbitfish, tangs. look up their minimum requirements for tank size though.
- phosphate reduction, go slowly on it. There are a number of ways about this and lots of threads on here.

It's not the end of the world, just a phase of algae growth into your bacterial elements cycling through. phos reduction and keeping up regular water changes will help this pass. Anything extreme will just cause on-going issues with cyano in my opinion.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
how the heck do you lower it ?
major water change ?
I would test for phos before doing anything major. Look into GFO reactors, e.g. phosban or rowaphos. Water changes will just temporarily lower the phosphate. You can also add lanthanum to your skimmer but be very careful about how much you add (http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/foiling-phosphate). There are a few threads on here about it.

I've gone for a little fish reactor with phosban. Slow tumble, less than needed, means no sharp changes in alkalinity or phosphate.

edit: you'll need a skimmer on there as well.)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
If you're going to spend money on a phos test kit make sure you get the right one.
You will find, through popular choice that hanna eggs are the most accurate.
API are pretty vague, Red Sea are just as vague but more expensive, (I have one I've used twice if you want one ha ha)
The Hanna phosphate egg is a good unit. That being said, a number of people prefer to go with the Hanna Phosphorous egg and use the calculation table to work out a more accurate phosphate level. I have both and agree with this.
Look around on EBay and you should be able to pick a unit plus some packets of reagents at a reasonable price.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
hehe 2ppm is quite high yeah and will cause quite a few types of algae to bloom. If the tank has been running for that long with phosphates up at a decent level, it will have soaked into the substrate - therefore, water changes alone won't solve it (well, technically could - would just take a LONG time).

I'd recommend a TLF150 phosban reactor and a small pump setup in your sump. Add a small amount of phosban and change it out every 4 or so months. Cheap, easy and simple setup that really has results on the board.

Alternatively, you could try Red Sea NoPox, which is a simple carbon dosing - could be an option?

Goodluck :)
Sam

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
just tested phos test kit showing 2ppm not good i am guessing :-(
it will certainly be dulling your colours at that concentration. would have soaked into substrate and rocks too. Will take some time to leech out but keep a reactor or lanthanum dosing and you should see a reduction eventually that stabilises.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yeah probably. I have one of these, but I use as a c02 scrubber instead of a GFO reactor. They all look to do pretty much the same thing :)