Reef Discussion

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
Oh, btw if it was my tank........I would knife the silicon in the sump tank,remove it, go to my local glass person and get them the cut the sides and end panes to a better height before I got some silicon and put it back together.

Or better again even use the glass to make 2 smaller sump tanks I could fit in and out of the built cabinet connected by a 50mm pipe with a valve.

That would cost almost nothing, maybe a six pack for glass people.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Oh, btw if it was my tank........I would knife the silicon in the sump tank,remove it, go to my local glass person and get them the cut the sides and end panes to a better height before I got some silicon and put it back together.

Or better again even use the glass to make 2 smaller sump tanks I could fit in and out of the built cabinet connected by a 50mm pipe with a valve.

That would cost almost nothing, maybe a six pack for glass people.
This idea I like!

External skimmer has been agreed to once stocking rises

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I had the same issue with my 57, the damn stand is too short. That'll teach me to just use the lumber I had, lol. I would personally take it out and correct any issues it has. With a tank that size, I wouldn't 1/2 ass it out of the gate.

Oak Park-VIC

Sep 4, 2013
Problem is, this couple bought the item after looking at it themselves. Having had a marine tank already for a couple of years - you would have a strong argument that they should know what they are buying.....

Anyway, let's move forward - the tank is not going back, it will be set up.

Miracle mud sounds like a decent option actually... Will look into that now. I will talk them into dropping a bag of chemipure grande in the sump also just to help with water clarity and filtration.

Gotta keep in mind that this is a fish only tank and the couple are coming from an all in one tank that has zero filtration at all.
chemipure grande in the sump??? What are the benefits and what would i need for this for water clarity?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
chemipure grande in the sump??? What are the benefits and what would i need for this for water clarity?
Chemipure is pretty much just a carbon with a phosphate and silicate remover in it. Very popular in nano tanks, but they do make a big version (the "grande") for big tanks. Most of the time people with larger tanks use reactors for carbon/GFO - but this is a simpler (but more expensive) option.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
It's up and running well. If I could share a facebook video here I would, but your not friends with the owner :)

Can't thank Ken from K&J enough for helping out with this.