Tank Journal Archive

V

'vspec'

I cant take all the credit, my brain is in the tips of my fingers now bud, I had to make cut backs and sacrifices a while back. My head now contains a hidden chilled compartment for beer.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
A friend brought a house that was just like your brain lol They built a dodgey little "fridge" in the garage. It was made of the usual building materials then lined with broken up poly vegie boxes all glued to the wall and they put in a fridge compressor and a keg..... What a pain you say to go out to the carport every time you need a refill? Easy fixed grab a big ass drill bit and put a hole through the wall into the lounge room :rolleyes. But wait a bar would be good make it more professional like so in goes the bar..... Hey it seems to move around on the vinyl a bit what do we do about that?.... hmmm concrete underneath a few dyna bolts through the vinyl will fix that :cool:..... What do you recon of the plain old pine though? Doesnt really match the top class reno we have just achieved.... stain it that'll be sweet.... but then we will have to move it all and its already bolted through the floor... we will just do it where it is.... but what about a drop sheet...a what... so we dont stain the floor too... dont worry about that the stain that goes all over the floor will match the cabinet anyway... yeah good point :confused:

fast forward to move out day.... hey what do we do with all this crap we have lying around bike clothes rubbish etc.... i'm not goin to the bloody dump again... well we cant leave it..... whats that manhole looking thing up there on the ceiling?????

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Got frame painted now. I'll brace it up tomorrow and work on getting the trimming done. Anybody know and easy way to make doors?

painted 1.jpg

painted 2.jpg

and yes i may have missed some lol

V

'vspec'

I'm no cabinet maker, but surely there is templates yeah?

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I'll just use wood. I'm thinking ply with pine bracing on the inside. I will ask google and see what it has to say.

Uglyman

Mar 9, 2012
Pyalong
It's easy to make doors, I just say "hey woman my tank stand needs doors how bout you make me some" and off she goes hehe. It's awesome when your missus is a cabinet maker, only thing is it's embarrasing when she has more tools than me and the garage is her workshop not mine lol

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
yep, just build a frame the size you want the door, put the ply on then you have a door, put a brace either side of where the door is going, so you can screw the hinges on, and so it wont be too bad if you slam it shut, then your done :)

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I cut some new braces yesterday and once again forgot to put the bottom piece of ply down first lol out with the braces in with the ply recut the braces 8)

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
still have to screw the braces in but it just needs a pretty dress and it is done... apart from the levels but I think it is the floor not entirely me.... 50/50 well 80/20 floor/me :cool:

lot2 051.jpg

V

'vspec'

yea!!!! well don........hang on, I can still see wood grain..lol

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Alrighty need some help please :)

The tank will have 3 holes (for the wier V) one full syphon one Durso backup and the return. Tank will be plumbed through the chiller sump will be 3 sections skimmer, middle section, return. Should I go with 25mm bulkheads? Mainly going have softies and lps maybe down the track a sps or two.

Also putting black Perspex on the wier how does one glue it on and with what? Don't want to use the wrong stuff and kill the fish ;)

Thanks in advance :)

Stay tuned for more questions the time for the reef of some sort draws near... Finally ;)

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Hi sarg!
My syphon is 25mm and just got the bulkheads to suit that. There are different brands, and they are are little different in dimensions. Choose a bulkhead to suit the size pipe, And my return is 20mil pipe.
Stand looks nice and strong too!

V

'vspec'

Silicon dude, its not built yet, so just silicon it on if its an after thought. Cure time and your gravy!

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Thanks Tony and V

I have to order all the stuff on Wednesday so wanted to go in with all the info. I was thinking of going 20 or 25mm pipe. I guess 25 with taps will be best.

Thought silicone would be the go just wanted to make sure. I'll dig through the silicones at work at see what is safe. The lfs just told me to do it figure it must be cheaper than the tank builder doing it.

I was up on the stand today wobbling around. Seems out on the levels the floor is a touch out which isn't helping. We're only talking mm's so I'll wait till there is a tank on top with a bit of water to see how bad it really is.

Cheers

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I grabbed some 3mm mdf packing strips off a palet that came through work a few weeks back but I think 3mm might be to much. We shall see soon enough :)