Reef Discussion

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
ahhh its dropped off but it was very strange, had brown and yellow markings and a tail and a head, thats all I could see of it before it went

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
That's impossible to tell from those photos. More information? How long is it? Age of tank? Last tank addition? Was it fresh live rock when you got it? How long have you had the YT? What quarantine procedure did you use? Dud it leave a bite mark on the YT? Does the YT have any symptoms?

Just a few q's!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Weird, almost looks like a nudibranch. But I assume it is a parasite ... don't know much about them but assume it might have laid eggs?

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
How long is it? its about 1.5cm
Age of tank? 5-6 Months
Last tank addition? YT
Was it fresh live rock when you got it? Cured Live rock and some dry rock
How long have you had the YT? Since Saturday
What quarantine procedure did you use? No QT, I do have a tank but it doesnt have a chiller on it so it gets hot 30+ i mentioned it to the person in the LFS ad they said prob better of not using it until winter, whats your views on this should I QT all fish regardless of heat?
Did it leave a bite mark on the YT? very hard to tell but there seems to be a very slight discolouration
Does the YT have any symptoms? ive been watching carefully and noticed 2 very small grey dots on the dorsel fin and lower fin (dont know the name lol) they dots are raised I imagine a prasite whats the best treatment to use?

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Anyway ive been closely investigating my clownfish and I have also notices a small grey raised bump on one of them, they are acting normally so I may be over reacting here but im going to try the follow.

Right or wrong this is my plan of attack unless you guys can give me a better suggestion

Hospital tank is setup with

Salinity 1.20
Copper 0.25 after 2 days will increase to 0.5 as instructions state BTW im using sachem Cupramine

keep them in there for a few days, then possibly move them to my QT tank, weather says its going to be hot over the weekend 37C+ so im not sure temps fish can survive but im not sure what I will when this happens.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I honestly can't tell from the picture what this might have been, but I think you may be over reacting with the copper treatment. I would be holding off for a while until you are sure that there is actually something to treat.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
close up Scottrotton.jpg

It's anyone's guess at this stage! Just showed this pic to my father (long time fish keeper/recreational diver) and he reckons it could be a sea louse. I can't find a pic of one with the colouration/patterning of yours though.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Ok I think my dad's right... google 'parasitic isopod on tang' and have a look at the images that come up. Also found these cases on Wet Web Media under Isopod Control:

I have a powder brown tang which has picked up a quarter of an inch long light brown crustacean on its anal fin. The bug looks kind of like a terrestrial rolly poly or pill bug. Also this thing seems to be pinching the fin. I already have a cleaner wrasse and shrimp. Do you know what this thing is and if and how I should get rid of it? I bought your book this weekend and there the bug was right on page 148. Also I have a white faced tang and I now feel pretty bad about buying that cleaner wrasse. Anyway the copepod disappeared after about 8 hours so I assume the cleaners got it. I am glad I bought your book. It answered a lot of questions and gave me a lot of ideas. Thanks for your time and Ill investigate further before submitting a question. Everett West >> Yes, this is a parasitic isopod... an aquatic type of rolly poly... and it is best to remove it by catching the fish and prising it off with a stout tweezers... Get ready and at the same time, daub a little mercurochrome or Merthiolate on the remaining sore with a "q-tip"... Bob Fenner

Isolating Isopods Hi JasonC, Good job filling in for Bob. <<why thank you... >> Can you give me some advice. I have a Sailfin tang with a parasite hanging on to its bottom fin. I'm pretty sure the parasite came in on a piece of liverock, but regardless its there. The thing looks like a white worm. Maybe 1/16 of a inch long and 1/32 of an inch thick. Pretty small but large enough to see some features on the parasite. I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago, and since it has doubled in size. There is now a small hole developing in the fin where the things mouth is. The tang does not show any signs that he is distressed yet, but I am afraid of letting this thing get to big, or if it reproduces god help me. I have a cleaner shrimp that cleans the tang from time to time, but the shrimp never touches this fin. I waited these two weeks hoping the shrimp would get it, but to no avail. Do you suggest a neon goby or cleaner wrasse to be added to the tank? If I could catch the tang (yeah right), would a fresh water dip be a better option? Would scraping it off with my nail work again if I could catch the tang. Last night I did notice 2 tiny white dots on another fin. I'm afraid these are small versions of the same parasite. <<Two courses of action here that I can think of, and both will require you to catch the fish. You can either manually remove the isopod, either with your fingers or tweezers OR freshwater dip it off - either one will work - the manual method will probably be quickest with the lowest trauma to the fish. Doubt the small dots you are seeing are the same thing, but if you've got one, you could have two... keep your eye on it.>> Thanks Mike T <<Cheers, J -- >>

I haven't done heaps of research on this so by all means look for other options, but looks like you may have to wait till its on the fish again before you can remove it based on the advice I have found online...

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
yuuuuuuuuuck!!!!! yuck. yuck. YUCK!!! could you imagine having something like that hanging off you???? *considers the gender of half the human population....decides not to go there*

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
Parasitic Isopod was gonna be my guess too.... But I'm certainly not an expert. Good luck with treating for it!

I'm a big fan of QT but temps in your situation would be a big concern. Personally my QT gets setup in the lounge room (so i can observe the inhabitants as much as possible) and house is air conditioned 22-24c year round. My partner reefs so is more than accommodating in this process.