Reef Discussion

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
Why Use Frag Racks? Zoa Garden Or Scattered About?
Two zoa questions please :)

I'm keen to understand more about frag racks please. Do you have your frag rack because you can't fit them in your aquascape anywhere or because you want to keep them separate and if so why? Do you use it to acclimate the frags to your tank before placing them or are these so you can sell/pass them on? I'm thinking about making a little frag rack for some of my zoas to keep them there till they are stable in my tank and then placing them in the aquascape so would like to better understand why folks use a frag rack.

Secondly, for those of you with zoas, do you have them all together in one spot in a zoa "garden" or do you place them in different spots throughout your tank?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Usually I would use a frag rack as a place to grow out new fresh frags before putting them in to my scape.

Hi Ziggy, I too mostly use them to grow out frags but I also like them because my magnetic ones, can be placed as close to the light as I choose. I've also just made a frag rack out of black eggcrate for the sump. I'm going to grow out mushies in there.

As for the tank, I scatter my zoos about wherever they seem to fit and like. Often different zoas have different lighting preferences.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I am slowly working on covering the majority of my scape with zoas so I place them all over the place. I try to vary colours, sizes etc in each area.
As for the rack. I use it to grow out corals that I have fragged myself.