Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
White Film
yet another problem , can not believe it, just when you think everything is going good, just found white powdery looking film around wave maker and some on sides of tank please help!!!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It's going to be difficult to ID without actually seeing it, or seeing some good photo's.

It doesn't necessarily sound too bad to me.

Why have you been dosing API Stress Coat?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Stress Coat has NO PLACE in a reef aquarium, none, nada, zip! Aloe Vera is a plant used by the native people's of North America to treat quite a few ailments as well as burns. It's OK for freshwater, but not in a reef tank. If I had to take a stab at it, some of the lanthanum has precipitated out of solution from the NOPOX. One last thing, be very cautious about the iodine, you don't need anywhere near what the label says unless you have a forest of soft corals, too much is a VERY bad thing. In my 400l cube I dose 1ml every 10 days and it has 9 soft corals in it.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Stress Coat has NO PLACE in a reef aquarium, none, nada, zip! Aloe Vera is a plant used by the native people's of North America to treat quite a few ailments as well as burns. It's OK for freshwater, but not in a reef tank. If I had to take a stab at it, some of the lanthanum has precipitated out of solution from the NOPOX. One last thing, be very cautious about the iodine, you don't need anywhere near what the label says unless you have a forest of soft corals, too much is a VERY bad thing. In my 400l cube I dose 1ml every 10 days and it has 9 soft corals in it.
thanks again Rob,I tested for iodine and had none in my tank and i had read that the clam needs this, only dosed small amount once, I have at least 30 soft corals and thought they may need this, as for the stress coat I have a blue tang he has had ick very bad and he has always been very aggressive , thought it would keep him calm,worried he all get it again,but if you say not to use I will it rid of it, thinking about it last night in bed it seems the white film manly went to where there was heat places like the wave maker and on and around uv light fitting,

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
It's going to be difficult to ID without actually seeing it, or seeing some good photo's.

It doesn't necessarily sound too bad to me.

Why have you been dosing API Stress Coat?
thanks, I try to keep my rouge blue tank from stressing and getting white spot again,

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
@Susan Bates
If your wanting to increase the slime coat on the fish to help a little with ICH. Seachem prime does that too, safely in a reef tank.
It is clearly stated on the label, or should I say was, now in Australia all LFS have to place a sticker over that part of the information on the bottle. No idea why this is so.
If you happen to find an old bottle (before the new rule came in) it says it helps fish increase there slime coats.The new bottles will still increase it but here in Aussie land we aren't allowed to advertise it any more. Very strange.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
@Susan Bates
If your wanting to increase the slime coat on the fish to help a little with ICH. Seachem prime does that too, safely in a reef tank.
It is clearly stated on the label, or should I say was, now in Australia all LFS have to place a sticker over that part of the information on the bottle. No idea why this is so.
If you happen to find an old bottle (before the new rule came in) it says it helps fish increase there slime coats.The new bottles will still increase it but here in Aussie land we aren't allowed to advertise it any more. Very strange.
thanks I have some Prime

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
... now in Australia all LFS have to place a sticker over that part of the information on the bottle. No idea why this is so.
Prime is used to removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia - and it does a very good job at doing this. I use Seachem Safe for this purpose, primarily in my larval tanks - Safe is the powdered, concentrated form of Prime as I prefer not to pay for water :)

The Seachem website also states that it "... also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat" although it provides no basis for this statement.

In Australia we have laws against "misleading and deceptive conduct" - you can't claim something without actually providing the proof (although our polititions seem to be immune from this law at election time :rolleyes).

If the company has been required to cover up part of their label well, I will leave it to you to decide if they were able to provide any evidence that what they claimed could actually be proven ;)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I have a question. If you're making your ASW from RO/DI water why are you adding a chlorine remover? I'm curious as I'm on well water and I don't use anything in mine. If chlorine is getting past that membrane, it's time for some serious prefiltering of the water coming from your mains.

As for the iodine, less is best. If you're testing, make sure it's a quality test. I don't want to see you wipe out your tank from an overdose, I came close to doing just that about a year ago from a dodgey test kit. :mad:

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I have a question. If you're making your ASW from RO/DI water why are you adding a chlorine remover? I'm curious as I'm on well water and I don't use anything in mine. If chlorine is getting past that membrane, it's time for some serious prefiltering of the water coming from your mains.

As for the iodine, less is best. If you're testing, make sure it's a quality test. I don't want to see you wipe out your tank from an overdose, I came close to doing just that about a year ago from a dodgey test kit. :mad:
I am not using the prime at the moment, had it when my tank was cycling and before i got ro unit, I am using salifert iodine test kit and not reading any iodine at all which I was surprised about because I dose 2 x a week with reef plus and reef trace

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
What sort of soft corals do you have? Umbrella leathers and Xenia are iodine hogs, I swear you can hear them sucking it out of the water, lol.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have a question. If you're making your ASW from RO/DI water why are you adding a chlorine remover?
@ReeferRob - I'm not sure if this question was aimed at me :confused:

If so, I use it to remove ammonia rather than chlorine - larval fish don't respond well to changing water conditions and it is often safer to dose some Prime, or Safe in my case, to deal with ammonia in the first couple of days rather than risk a water change.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
@ReeferRob - I'm not sure if this question was aimed at me :confused:

If so, I use it to remove ammonia rather than chlorine - larval fish don't respond well to changing water conditions and it is often safer to dose some Prime, or Safe in my case, to deal with ammonia in the first couple of days rather than risk a water change.

OK, that makes sense, I am curious.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
What sort of soft corals do you have? Umbrella leathers and Xenia are iodine hogs, I swear you can hear them sucking it out of the water, lol.
Ha Ha, I have both,I will have to try to get a video of the tank up for you to see, other the few problems I have ....ick, pink hair stuff (that no one has seen before), just noticed white spots on rocks(going crazy), I am happy with how it is coming along,I am dedicated and determined to make it work, thanks 2 the help from people like you

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Ha Ha, I have both,I will have to try to get a video of the tank up for you to see, other the few problems I have ....ick, pink hair stuff (that no one has seen before), just noticed white spots on rocks(going crazy), I am happy with how it is coming along,I am dedicated and determined to make it work, thanks 2 the help from people like you
So Rob am I doing the right thing to add iodide if so how much do you recommend ? I have seachem reef iodide, it said on the bottle contains no toxic iodine only safe iodide

jayellul

Sep 6, 2013
Sounds like it could be a bacteria issue

i would stop dosing all that stuff and keep to the basics if you are worried.