News

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
That was a day of awesomeness as usual @Synodontis - it was amazing, so as always, thank you. I feel a bit like a part of the family I spend so much time at your place (I don't even need a GPS to find it anymore!) and I'm not sure I say thank you often enough for what you do for this community!

Glad you mentioned Erin - she was running around early, she drove the BBQ, and she was still there when I left around 9pm, so she put in a pretty serious day for us well.

It was great to see so many people show up, and to see people enjoying themselves. I will admit, it was actually nice to see someone else hacking up corals.. that just reminds me of hard work :p
If anyone didn't enjoy that, I reckon they're too damned hard to please.

The Reefuge has a great culture - there's a very social element to these events, and it's great to see these events be successful. As one of the members who was here back when The Reefuge was in "beta" and no one had really heard of the place, I find myself constantly impressed and find some pride in seeing how we've grown as a community.
The April meet last year was mind blowing in that respect - only a few months before we were just a forum platform with a small number of users, and all of a sudden we managed to get a couple of dozen like minded folks together for a BBQ and to hack up some corals.
Fast Forward to yesterday, and we have quite a few people showing up, a stack of food, an LFS donating stock, and everyone enjoying themselves. That's awesome progress for a relatively young community.

Well done everyone.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
That was a day of awesomeness as usual @Synodontis - it was amazing, so as always, thank you. I feel a bit like a part of the family I spend so much time at your place (I don't even need a GPS to find it anymore!) and I'm not sure I say thank you often enough for what you do for this community!

Glad you mentioned Erin - she was running around early, she drove the BBQ, and she was still there when I left around 9pm, so she put in a pretty serious day for us well.

It was great to see so many people show up, and to see people enjoying themselves. I will admit, it was actually nice to see someone else hacking up corals.. that just reminds me of hard work :p
If anyone didn't enjoy that, I reckon they're too damned hard to please.

The Reefuge has a great culture - there's a very social element to these events, and it's great to see these events be successful. As one of the members who was here back when The Reefuge was in "beta" and no one had really heard of the place, I find myself constantly impressed and find some pride in seeing how we've grown as a community.
The April meet last year was mind blowing in that respect - only a few months before we were just a forum platform with a small number of users, and all of a sudden we managed to get a couple of dozen like minded folks together for a BBQ and to hack up some corals.
Fast Forward to yesterday, and we have quite a few people showing up, a stack of food, an LFS donating stock, and everyone enjoying themselves. That's awesome progress for a relatively young community.

Well done everyone.
I was also doing a bit of reminiscing while I was standing back and watching everyone (and yes I do that a lot if anyone hasn't noticed yet). The fact that we've gone from the dozen odd last year to yesterdays attendance in just over a year is astounding. I think this event will be tough to beat, and the only thing that will is an Interstate Frag Meet ;) (shotgun not having to organise that one, and I think @Synodontis / @K&J Aquatics have more then filled their quota for organised events for a year or 2).
I'm still in shock to be honest, and really gutted we didn't get the full crew mug-shot like last year. Who feels like photoshopping faces onto a classroom photo with names etc? :rofl

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Great day and a lot of fun was had, as well as food! Had a go at fragging up a lot of acro and was impressed at our little production line keeping up and pumping out the 300 odd ziplock bags full of frags! There was way more than enough to go around, I wouldn't be surprised if a few got left behind.
@rockerpeller and I were standing back chatting about how huge it had got since the meet last year and couldn't believe how many new faces there were :):)
I managed to get rid of some buckets and some mesh to a few members which was good, I still have some left over if anyone needs some.
Big thanks to @K&J Aquatics for putting on the day and even donating some corals out of their tank for the chopping table! Thanks for the nice hammer frag :D
Cant wait for the next one! Someone is gonna need a huge house or we have to hire a venue lol :rolleyes

narns

Jul 22, 2013
ok so who ever what the recipe for the cob loaf dip that @Miller and I made..here it is:
4 rashers bacon
1 onion chopped
2 large florrets of broccolli steamed until really soft to easily mash
2 tbs mayonaise
1 tbs sour cream
1 packet spring vegetable soup mix
1 block of light philly cheese
1 cob loab with top cut off and middle pulled out (can use a cut up french stick for dipping also)

Cook onion and bacon
mix philly cheese until smooth, add mayo, sour cream and spring veggie soup mix
Fold in rest of ingredients!
Serve warm or cold :)

roamin

Nov 6, 2012
how the heck did i miss this? grrrrrrr i didn't even know it was on! hopefully next time i see it and can make it to the event, looks like it was a good day and everyone enjoyed it!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Anyone else that got half of a ric having trouble keeping it on a tile/plug? I have re-glued mine three times and it seems to push itself off? It's hidden somewhere in the tank, this time I cant find it :(
Was starting to look real pretty too!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
You can't glue rics, they just attach them selves like morphs. I once lost one for a couple of months and then found it under a rock still alive but not happy.

Gunners85

May 23, 2013
Anyone else that got half of a ric having trouble keeping it on a tile/plug? I have re-glued mine three times and it seems to push itself off? It's hidden somewhere in the tank, this time I cant find it :(
Was starting to look real pretty too!
Mine too! I put him on a rock and it fell off twice.. so I put him on a tile and he fell off that aswell and is now in the first spot that I put him... Looking awesome too!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
From the other thread:
Put it in a small container with some coral rubble or rocks, then use mesh to cover the container. The ric will need low flow and a period of time (days, maybe even weeks) to get a foothold. Once it has, you can then move it where you want it in the tank and stick the rock down.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Damn you all with your frag plugs!!! :rage *shakes fist at the frag plug gods* lo:-Dl

We're all out so I haven't been able to mount all our lovely new frags :cry Apparently lucky me gets to spend tonight hacking frags that I made up a couple of weeks ago off their plugs to stick the SPS on instead tonight :dead

And jeaaalous of those of you who scored rics! I call dibs on a future frag

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Damn you all with your frag plugs!!! :rage *shakes fist at the frag plug gods* lo:-Dl

We're all out so I haven't been able to mount all our lovely new frags :cry Apparently lucky me gets to spend tonight hacking frags that I made up a couple of weeks ago off their plugs to stick the SPS on instead tonight :dead

And jeaaalous of those of you who scored rics! I call dibs on a future frag
How many do you need? I have around a pack of tiles that I'll never use. I rely mainly on plugs and coral rubble.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I half deliberately, half accidentally (was fishing it out with a skewer and it ended up there) in amongst my hammers - will this cause any problems?

Attachments