Off-Topic

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
It's also about power delivery too. Your magna would've had the most weight over the front wheels (from memory their weight dist was 54 to 46% FR) giving it better traction, commodores of old had a weight dist of 53 to 47% FR (V8's) with rear drive making them break traction easier with the extra power, especially with their pretty crappy LSD's in the older models pre VY series. The VY's LSD got a bit better and the VE's are now pretty good. Theres heaps of different variables in relation to car's performance. Power to weigth ratio's, power trains, torque curves, power curves, traction, tyre tread type, tyre grip, driven wheels tyre width, tyre composition, variables in LSD's and torque splitters and the list goes on...
What I was meaning originally by sticking with the current regulations, Supercars have to be limited by power, use the same chassis, and come with in regulation weight (1445kg from memory), just adding additional body shells was the main point.. Still it's turned into a good discussion either way ;)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
In my perfect world the rules would read as follows...

everyone has to use the same (control) fuel and tyres
free run on chassis and body shape
free run on engine capacity, configuration and location
no electronic traction aids
rear drive
all cars must run a 40mm restrictor on the engine air inlet

Now to win the lotto and start my own motor sport association........

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Sounds a vague bit like Le Mans regs... Would u also class different cars? So say have A, B, C, D etc classes with the different classes regulated by body size or engine capacity (Hatch, Medium, Large or class it like Jap car classes (K, J and others)...or 2.0L, 2.5L, 5.0L, 5.5L etc), or just as you say 'free for all'? (that sounds like Forza or Gran Turismo for us driver gamers lol)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
what ever you want as long as the engine breathes through the same size restrictor... which theoretically limits everyone to the same maximum power, this has been done in many race classes around the world especially rally classes.

If everyone is using the same fuel, tyres and inlet restriction... The rest comes down to clever thinking, engineering and most of all driving. And nothing else matters

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
What about weight restrictions? Thoeretically your rules would work, but it does not rule out PTW. Forsay the 40mm air intake restriction limits power to a maximum of 200kW, and you had a vehicle weighing 1800kg their PTW would only be 120kW/tonne where as if you had a vehicle weighing 800kg their PTW would be 220kW/tonne putting the vehicle with the lower PTW at a dissadvantage straight up, no matter what the driven wheels are. Clever thinking, engineering and driving skill wouldn't do anything to compensate.

Mods - since were getting so far off topic should we divide this thread? Creepy MattGreen

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
What about weight restrictions? Thoeretically your rules would work, but it does not rule out PTW. Forsay the 40mm air intake restriction limits power to a maximum of 200kW, and you had a vehicle weighing 1800kg their PTW would only be 120kW/tonne where as if you had a vehicle weighing 800kg their PTW would be 220kW/tonne putting the vehicle with the lower PTW at a dissadvantage straight up, no matter what the driven wheels are. Clever thinking, engineering and driving skill wouldn't do anything to compensate.

Mods - since were getting so far off topic should we divide this thread? Creepy MattGreen
And that is exactly why it needs to be limited to an engine class rather than opened right up. The PTW is going to be an issue every time. The body needed to hold on to a 5.8l 600+kw engine is always going to be a lot heavier than a 3l turbo putting out 400+kw. That means weight (as does the extra cubic inches). That's where the balance is skewed. You really need to be about keeping the weight and power output similar, then leaving it up to pure arse and a good crew to help you get over the line.
That's something we're going to see more of next year as "The car of the future" is released. Who knows what monsters we'll see when that happens. I'm gonna be amused if Toyota jump on board. If they get any fans, they'll all want Toyota to make a V8 Camry. Lol. How about a Hyundai i40?
I think you'll find brendore, and Creepy MattGreen that I just got this back on topic. :D

Here is a comparison

Eastern creek outright lap record

V8 Supercars Mark Skaife Commodore 1:31.7301

Below times are from WTAC at eastern creek

Steve Glenney GT Auto Garage/HKS Aust Nissan R35 GTR 1:32.4130
Mark Berry Advan/Hi Octane Racing Nissan R34 GTR 1:31.9050
Eiji “Tarzan” Yamada CyberEvo Mitsubishi Evo 9 1:28.8510

Dont sound much quicker do they? well these times were run on DOT australian street legel tyres, with control fuel the same as v8 supercars use.