Off-Topic

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
V8 supercars
Anyone here into V8 supercars?

My first Bathurst was in 1985, so I've been watching car racing for a long time.

Currently watching the L&H 500 from Phillp Island through channel 7's "World Feed" via satellite - that's the feed that's available to other countries to pull the raw feed from. I only watch that as I hate ads, and occasionally you get some good footage from the track before the race starts.
The feed isn't intended for people to watch directly, but it's easy enough to find if you have the right gear and some patience.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
thats one of the problems of having a fish tank sadly. i cant leave mine for more then a few days!

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Only things that bother me are that the ATO has been working a little harder with the recent change in weather - evap has practically doubled in my fish room in the last week (all of my tanks have had this issue), and the algae. The algae is just a matter of cleaning, but it makes a damn mess.
I'll get someone to come around a couple of times to feed the fish - last time I was away, I pre-measured my fish food into test tubes to make sure there were no accidents with that!

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I'm not much of a V8 supercar fan however I know Nick Percat pretty well and it was awesome to see him step up his game yesterday after stalling on the start and and having to start from pit lane in last position then working his way back through the field. He surely has to be in for a full time drive in the next couple of years.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I'm not much of a V8 supercar fan however I know Nick Percat pretty well and it was awesome to see him step up his game yesterday after stalling on the start and and having to start from pit lane in last position then working his way back through the field. He surely has to be in for a full time drive in the next couple of years.
Heh.. felt a bit sorry for him with that start, even if he was driving a bloody Holden. He was obviously doing something right to get a ride that was in the first row on the big day.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
I picked up the latest edition of Wheels mag yesterday and seen the rules and regs are changing for V8 Supercars next year. One of the question Wheels printed was "what other makes would you like to see line up on the grid?"

For me I'd like to see any other large 4 door saloons enter, so BMW M5's, Merc E class, and hell even Toyota Camry's. They all have to run the same chassis so why not? Maybe they could also include a medium catagory to include Audi A4's, BMW M3's, Merc C class, etc or even run large two door american cars like dodge's Charger R/T and Challenger SR-T, Chrysler 300C etc.

I know I'd like to see a bit more variety other than the Falcodores we've run for so many years

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
As much as I don't really like letting go of the Ford vs Holden thing, the only cars I'd like to see are cars that look like something you can go and buy with a V8 in it. If we wind up with something that doesn't look a bit like something you can easily buy, we might as well watch Nascar.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
As much as I don't really like letting go of the Ford vs Holden thing, the only cars I'd like to see are cars that look like something you can go and buy with a V8 in it. If we wind up with something that doesn't look a bit like something you can easily buy, we might as well watch Nascar.
Under the V8 Supercar regs the cars have to use production shells, so the other models would look as stock as ours do (albeit with aero mods).
VaultBoy I like that idea! Wouldn't wanna be lining up against an R35 or GT3RS tho haha

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I prefer to see the improved production class where you see wrx evo m3 rx7 and skylines etc versus the taxis
See - that used to happen, and got really quite boring, which is how it wound up at V8 supercars. Watching rice burners with a completely different power to weight ratio, 4WD and all that crap really started to get old quickly. Especially when no one could beat Skylines. All of the best drivers wound up in Skylines back in the day because they were so bloody fast.
The interest for that type of thing died in the ass years ago, hence why the series changed.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Oh come on Sir Psycho Sexy! I seen that AMG E class Benz you had hiding out the back! :rolleyes

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Maybe basing it on cars with the same 0-100 times etc? That would keep it more even. As I said more not completely lol

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Maybe basing it on cars with the same 0-100 times etc? That would keep it more even. As I said more not completely lol
I think more limiting the power is a better idea. By memory I think the supercars are limited to 520hp or something?

I also agree with Dave's opinion too, hence why I named cars that are rear drive and come stock with V8's in them. There wouldn't be much competition between a Nissan GTR and a Commodore V8 supercar. The Nissan would thrash it even in base spec. It's AWD for a start, handles better, has more power, and when stripped to race spec would be much lighter too. I think the guidelines should still reign true. Must be rear drive, V8 powered, use the same chassis, and must look as factory as possible.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
How was the race today btw? The storm that decided to mess up my lounge room interfered just as the racing was looking interesting,

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
The race was great, Horse power is the worst way to rate a car. My done up 3l Magna was putting out 140 fwkw yet I could be v8 commodores that had 200rwkw it's all to do with design, torque, power curves. Event those gtr skylines have less power then the v8 supercars yet I'm a straight line they still rape them!

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Power to weight is far more relevant. Basic physics tells you that. That's why the smaller engine cars can quite often tear the pants off a V8. V8's are typically always big heavy bastards that we're made for going sideways around corners.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Not always my Magna stills weighed in at similar to a commordore roughly 80kg less or somthing. The added power that the v8 has should rape the power to weight ratio, I'll try digup some old vids