areefbuilders.com_files_2010_10_giesemann_polaris_chiller.jpg

Haliea/Aquamedic titan - small foot print
awww.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au_images_uploads_Hailea_HL_380CA.jpg

Teco TR20 - quiet

awww.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au_images_uploads_Teco.jpg

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
Hey Ads, when are ya thinking of setting up the quaratine tank, mate?

Or, is the tank you're throwing the rock and the sand in going to be the future QT?

Cheers,
Jamie.

PS: Me and Az have very similar sand to what you are getting. It may be worth getting a handful of each to kick-start things a bit. No worries if you think that may be a bit risky.

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
If the chiller is going to be in full view, then there is no competition. It must be the Giesemann. It looks awesome, the others, well, look like chillers...

Elos systems are all about style and function. If I was spending the dollars on an Elos setup, I wouldn't want to cheapen it with a clunky looking chiller.

If it's out of sight, go with reliability and function.

Jamie.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
QT aka the cube is set up in the garage at the moment, Its got the reefresh blocks and plates that have been going for 2 years and some live rock that is a couple of years old as well. I was going to keep an eye out at Alans over the next few months for a nice bombie and get him to sit it in the back corner for a few weeks and then put it in the display and mount my flubber on it.

Ill take you up on that offer, I was thinking of grabbing a storage container, pump and heater laying the sand down with some LR ontop to seed and get it going for a few months first but it sounds like more effort than its worth.

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
Nice one mate. I guess it will be time to get fish sooner rather than later since they'll need to sit in quaratine for a couple of months. Anyway, that's one to be talked about.

No worries about the sand, come and grab some when you want it :).

What are your thoughts on the chillers, mate, will it be on show near the tank?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
There are 3 juv yellow tangs (2cm) in there yesterday managed to pick them up for half the price of the smalls so will fatten them up for the next few months, looks really cool, never seen them that small either.

I think you are right, its going to be on display so it has to the the polaris. Its black but I think a stylish black, i know this sounds really stupid but the blue display and the cleaner lines do it for me as well. Being Giesemann I cant imagine a performance issue?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Im sure that wouldnt be an issue Pauls side but things have a habbit of getting sold on me whilst being held at Pauls :) has happened a bit before, there is just that many people working there and they dont seem to read what is written on tanks or box's.

Alan is just a two man show and ships his LR the same was as he does he coral and has it sitting in his 5000l coral prop tanks straight after shipping, which is some confidence in your methods :) He also dosnt seem to mind holding things for me for months on end.

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
2cm Yellows, that's awesome, where'd they come from mate? They must be very cute!

I'm now thinking that one Blue Tang and two Yellows could be my Tang gang :).

I really like the idea of having more than one Yellow, and I still want a Blue, so that could be a good compromise. I want to get all three at the same time and as small as possible. That's way down the track though, as I plan to add the Tangs last. Anthias will be first.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Picked them up from talbot, its looks really cool that size I was going to take a few pics as it makes the cube look like a 3x3x3 :)

Two yellow tangs "generally" fight if you go multiple the general rule is to go three or more, they looks really cool schooling as well :)

Nick Aka buckley had a 4x2x2 with 3 yellows, 1 chevron and a blue for about 3-4 years before he shut the tank down, no signs of agression, pacing or any other issues and that thing had like 80kg of live rock jammed in there. Im sure 3 yellows and a blue wouldnt be an issue at all.

Have you seen the powder blues? I think they are a bit nicer

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
Thanks for the advice, mate. Hmmm, I'll have to think about what I do Tang wise. I do like Powder Blues, but they are quite agro, and I don't want my Anthias getting jumpy. I plan to have a decent school of Anthias.

It's tricky, I don't want the tank to look like it's full of big fish if ya know what I mean. I want a few biggies ie Tangs, and then the rest of the crew being small ie a dozen Anthias at least, pair or Grammas, a Lawnmower Blenny and down the track, a pair of Mandos.

Hmmm, at least I have time to think.

Thanks again for the advice, and great score with those Yellows, they must be a great sight!

Jamie.

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
Alan is just a two man show and ships his LR the same was as he does he coral and has it sitting in his 5000l coral prop tanks straight after shipping, which is some confidence in your methods :) He also dosnt seem to mind holding things for me for months on end.
is this another shop you goto as well is it.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Yeah I get around :)

Alan is the coral wholesaler across the road from Pauls.

Very good guy to know, will hand collect anything your after (for a price) once he gets to know you.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Thanks for the advice, mate. Hmmm, I'll have to think about what I do Tang wise. I do like Powder Blues, but they are quite agro, and I don't want my Anthias getting jumpy. I plan to have a decent school of Anthias.
Acanthurus coeruleus are alot more peaceful look better with age as well!

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
ABT's are a nice looking fish. I wouldnt recommend a PBT, way to aggro and prone to WS. Powder Brown Tang's are a nice looking tang, I miss mine :(

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
Hmmm, nice one guys :).

An ABT with a few Yellows in tow, that would look cool.

Michael over on MASA recommended an ABT for my tank as well. I'll have to show Kristy a few pics of them.

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
so are we talking about Ad's tank here or have we hijacked his TJ to talk about our tanks? Well .. I tested my water last night and nitrate has gone down to 2. PO4 is 0.05ppm and KH is still at 12.5dkh and Calcium at 480pmm. Hopefully we get our salt next week and i'll do a decent water change :)