Tank Journal Archive

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
My method was To net the fish and keep the net in the water rest the net in the corner of the tank. The first time I did this the fish spat the eggs pretty fast in his stress of wanting out the net.
This time he thrashed about in the net for quite some time before spitting the eggs and hurting himself. The other one used the space to Jump rather than thrash about. Will have to move them out in a container to ground level. I try to keep them and the eggs in water the entire time no contact with the air if possible.
The one that jumped didn't make it the one that hurt himself is swimming and eating again. Still a sad loss and not really acceptable

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
Well my new lot of eggs are doing ok, not a huge amount but that's no big problem.
One egg in the middle of the bunch went bad so after last time losing 95% the day after one went bad that I couldn't access I decided what the heck I can't do any worse than last time letting them all go bad. Let's see if I can seperate them, I was initially thinking I would use a small sharp pair of scissors but couldn't single out the eggs to seperate them. Same issue with trying to use a scalpel. My solution was 2 straws. Yes who would have thought, placing the eggs in a shallow bowl with some of the tank water you can gently place the straw over a egg on one side of the bunch the. Select eggs opposite and one at a time slide the straw over the egg and while pressing the straw onto the bottom of the bowl twist it a bit and it will cut the attaching string, if not it almost cuts the string and a gentle slide of the straw away from the bunch and it comes free. Out of 20 eggs I damaged a total of 3 with this method. Today the embryo vein is showing in all the eggs so I class that method as quite successful at seperating the eggs.
I will try video it next time to give a better idea of what I did.

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
Feeling excited, my care package arrived with my dad today from Australia containing 4 Ziss egg tumblers!!
To sweeten the care package I also got some peppermint shrimp. There is huge demand for them here but none ever avalible so I'm dedicating some tanks especially for peppermints!! Some of the local distributor have heard I was getting peppermints and are trying to pre book shrimp once I raised them!! Wish me luck

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Let us know what you think of the tumblers - I hope you like them.

Good luck with the peps - I have not had any success so far, but will try again in the future. Did the peps go on the plane?

VietEric

Aug 8, 2015
Ha Dong
Will let you know how they go. My cardinals ate there first lot of eggs didn't want to take there first lot seems they just settled.
Yes the peps come on the flight from aust to nam. 10 sent and 4 survived the trip but a lot of bags popped on the flight which didn't help survival rate.
I will try the usual setup people recommend for the peps I can also try the Kreisel tank I built for my harlequins.
I think I have found a supplier of phyto and rotifer here in nam finally also.. My friend just got a contract with the marine university and offered access to there supplies of things like phyto zoo plankton and rotifer.