Reef Discussion

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
This is huge news! I've been following it as well and it's amazing to see how far they're starting to get them along now :)

My personal favourite is Bali Aquarich, the work and sheer variety of species (mainly angelfish) they have breeding and being aquacultured is just amazing! I would just love to get an aquacultured angel from them, especially the bandit's they're working on ;)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
They don't say whether these larvae are TB or WC eggs which is either here nor there in the grand scheme of things because we're learning about their larval stages. My guess is these are WC eggs that they'll raise and use for broodstock like Bali Aquarich has for their stock. It's an exciting time we live in today, I never thought that I'd live to see so many new advancements this quickly in the hobby. I knew we'd unlock the secrets, I just didn't think it would be this fast.

http://bali-aquarich.com/article1-2-lang2.html

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I'm 99% positive of that too MagicJ, but these specimens will know nothing but captive life so we're on our way with these as well.

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
I read an article from James Cook university and there is a guy there breeding cleaner shrimp, blood shrimp and even harlequin crabs!!!!!! The future is looking exciting, I would love to get into this line of research

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I read an article from James Cook university and there is a guy there breeding cleaner shrimp, blood shrimp and even harlequin crabs!!!!!! The future is looking exciting, I would love to get into this line of research
Cleaner shrimp and blood shrimp are tough, peppermint are a lot easier. Justin Credible uses their eggs and larvae to feed Goniopora corals.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Is settlement the period of time before the eggs hatch?? I have no idea about any of this, but am extremely interested in it
As Rob mentioned, marine fish, shrimps etc hatch into a larval form - they float around in the plankton for a period of time before going through a metamorphosis and settling out to the 'finished product'.

Some fish have a relatively short settlement time i.e. my Amphiprion ocellaris started settling out at 9 days post hatch - these yellow tangs are at 70 days and are not yet settled out - red line cleaner shrimp can take over 180 days to settle out.

The difficulty arises because you need to be able to feed the correct foods in the time before settlement - the longer this period the more likely they are to starve to death.

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
Oh ok, thank you for clearing that up. I saw another post today about the yellow tangs from hawaii and they have over 1000!!! at the 36 day mark. They also mentioned in their blog post that they are beginning to feed a wide variety of foods all the time and even showed some footage of the 49 and 36 day old tanks.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Oh ok, thank you for clearing that up. I saw another post today about the yellow tangs from hawaii and they have over 1000!!! at the 36 day mark. They also mentioned in their blog post that they are beginning to feed a wide variety of foods all the time and even showed some footage of the 49 and 36 day old tanks.
Do you have a link?