News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
I would also like to add that if something like this was to occur, there would be a character limit on the "main" update, as well as comments being disabled. Otherwise users will just use it as a thread.

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

This is only a quick update, but I would like to show you all what the new tank journals will look like. However, please note that some features are still missing as this was a test example only.

• You can not (currently) modify the order of the posts. The latest updates will appear first. When the system is finished you will be able to change the order updates are displayed when browsing users journals. For example, you may want to read it from the beginning to the end.
  • You can not (currently) comment on the users tank journal
  • You can not (currently) create your own journal
  • This is for viewing purposes only
I used @dr_schell 's Mudskipper Journal for the test. As stated before, it will display the latest updates first. This will change as the system gets out of BETA and goes Gold.

For comparison purposes I will post the new way the journals will be displayed and the normal journal.

PLEASE NOTE: @dr_schell will still be updating his normal journal until the new system is in place for all users.

Mudskipper Tank Journal (NEW) (Not yet mobile friendly)
http://www.thereefuge.com.au/blogs/tidal-mudflat-aquarium-mudskippers.3/

Mudskipper Tank Journal (Normal)
http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads/tidal-mudflat-aquarium-mudskippers.1744

As you can see, it is very easy to track a users journal via the updates. On the current journals you must go through pages and pages of posts in order to seek out new updates. More navigation options and display options will be available at a later date.

Thanks.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I mentioned this before, but will there be a 'NEXT' and 'PREVIOUS' button so you can browse through without referring back to the index page?

Looks good otherwise!

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
I mentioned this before, but will there be a 'NEXT' and 'PREVIOUS' button so you can browse through without referring back to the index page?

Looks good otherwise!
Hello @chimaera,

Yes there will be next and previous buttons on each entry.

Thanks.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
I'm guessing that all the entry dates will display on the live version? Definitely an improved layout.:)

Any chance of a contents as suggested by Chimaera?

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
chimaera said:
One thing I was thinking on your TJ, @ijg3956 is having a page of contents linking to key posts. Have seen this on other forums and really helps navigation. Plus when a post is updated, link to it on the most recent post.​
"Yes that would be good, particularly for mine as you say, with quite a few DIY areas and many more planned, it would be so much easier."

My TJ for example is a step by step of my tank's resurrection, as such it contains many DIY guides for those who haven't done it before. @chimaera was talking about those being key post that people might be looking for I believe. Actually I've written a few articles over the years that will probably wind up in there in an updated version as people ask specific question. I'm rehashing one on Medical Tanks (HT/QT/IT) right now for a US forum actually.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @ijg3956,

You will be able to link to key posts and other parts of the website in your tank journal description.

Thanks.

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
I tried but still cant get use to it. I kind like the tradition forum concept where one can sit and just trawl without thinking. Why reinvent the wheel? Suppose if it goes ahead one would had no choice but to like it otherwise make a TJ else where.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
I tried but still cant get use to it. I kind like the tradition forum concept where one can sit and just trawl without thinking. Why reinvent the wheel? Suppose if it goes ahead one would had no choice but to like it otherwise make a TJ else where.
Hello @Salty,

As stated above it is not open for anyone to use yet as it is still in pre-gold version.

The traditional thread concept works well for general discussions. That is to say a user creates a thread about a topic, and the first post is the discussion starter. Other users then go to the thread and post replies to it. However it is not good for posting updates to.

For example, if you open up the new tank journal example of the mudskippers, you can quickly find every single update the author (dr_schell) made to it. If you decide to sit there one night and browse it from beginning to end, you can easily do so.

If you open up the traditional thread journal, you need to scroll through pages and pages of people talking (and sometimes going off-topic) just to find where the author made an update.

The new journals will also have comments enabled to allow people to discuss the update (and whatever else they would like to talk about). The only difference being is that it is laid out much neater.

The perfect way to compare it is to take this website, delete every category and only have one forum where every single thread is placed into. It becomes a pain to find what you are looking for. Once users start to use them you will see it is a far better system. Also don't forget, the system is not complete yet, and there is a lot more features still to be implemented.

Thanks.