1x zebra barred darfish
2x redline cleaner shrimp
4x cardinals: mix of pyjama and bangai
2x star fish
2x true perc clowns

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
Looking great :) Some lovely fish there!! That mandy looks like he needs a bit of a fattening up though! :)
Hey Dom,

Cheers mate, yeah I have grown quite fond of them.

With the mandarin, when I first bought him he was fatter, and lost wight Immediatley when coming into my tank, I thought he's a goner, but he's been stable in the tank for approx 8 months now looking the same, I would like him to be fatter and have thought of putting him into my fuge for a week, but one thing I have learnt is sometimes if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I figure maybe the move into the fuge will stress him and he might die.

I feed the tank mysis, Cyclopse, lobster eggs, rotifers, brine shrimp.

Any other tips are welcome.

Btw, next update is sump & fuge Dom, then a FTS for you.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Mandarin fish take everything in their stride, they are one of the least easily stressed fish I know. And they cope with confinement in a small space extremely well. So intervene away. The tough part will be catching him.

Tip: Blackworms are mandarin spaghetti

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
+10 to @Agent M about the blackworms! If you can get a culture going your fish will LOVE them and so will your mandy :) Lobster eggs is also a good food for them, you might need to spend a little more time when feeding to make sure the eggs go right near him so he can get a feed before anyone else can eat them all lol it's worth spending time to fatten him up, even if it's in isolation for a few weeks to really train him onto frozen food and pellets :)

@MagicJ I know for sure they love live ones, not sure about freeze-dried, I'll leave that to M to answer lol

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
Mandarin fish take everything in their stride, they are one of the least easily stressed fish I know. And they cope with confinement in a small space extremely well. So intervene away. The tough part will be catching him.

Tip: Blackworms are mandarin spaghetti
Hi Agent and thank you for your reply.
I will give these a go, I was planning on waiting till we move house to start a culture but I'll give them a go sooner.

+10 to @Agent M about the blackworms! If you can get a culture going your fish will LOVE them and so will your mandy :) Lobster eggs is also a good food for them, you might need to spend a little more time when feeding to make sure the eggs go right near him so he can get a feed before anyone else can eat them all lol it's worth spending time to fatten him up, even if it's in isolation for a few weeks to really train him onto frozen food and pellets :)

@MagicJ I know for sure they love live ones, not sure about freeze-dried, I'll leave that to M to answer lol
Hey Dom thanks for your reply mate,
Regarding black worms, I was planning going all live foods for all fish once we move and I set up the garage, but I will bring the black worms forward I think.
I have spent time trying to feed him however, he swims away in the other direction when I drop food near him, I take about an hour or two feeding my tanks and as soon as its food time he comes out to pick along the sand bed, he does allot of spitting out though.
I don't QT anything anymore, so the only form of isolation I can offer would be my fuge, and I figure if he has a tank loaded with pods, he won't touch frozens, but he'd get hella fat though.
I'll try the black worms first and see how that goes, I'll order some tonight, I would like him to be plump.

Thank you both once again

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
dont you just hate it when you look into the tank, and faaaarrrrkkkk, my shrimp is dead, only half the body is on the floor with its antennas twitching.:cry

I start thinking about who has eaten my expensive invert. i start stressing, checking water temps and salinity just incase i have killed it and then other tank mates have started eating it.:rage

Then i think and start to have a look around the tank. :confused:

yes it only molted, i can relax,:) i should be used to this by now, what threw me off what it was only half the body on the sand, i usually find the whole thing.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
M used to freak out when her shrimp would moult. Always remember, if it's on a moon, chances are good it's a moult that you're seeing. Shrimp, crabs and lobsters moult on a full moon.