Reef Discussion

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Sump Cracked, What The Hell Do I Need To Do?? (no Panic Yet, Just Don't Want A Tank Crash)
Hi all,

About two hours ago I started the epic job of taking out and re-arranging my sump and replacing the stand flooring.

1. found the flooring was wet from a slow leak.
2. found a crack in the back of the sump and built up salt creep:

IMG_0464.JPG

IMG_0466.JPG

The crack is right in the middle of the sump wall. I don't trust it to keep using it till I can get another one.

So now the main tank (92 x 45 x 45) is without a skimmer and the DSB and coral chips from the sump. I've placed a heater in the tank and the corals that were in my sump into my QT tank which has already been cycled. The DSB and coral chips are in another container with water and a bit of live rock and a heater but no powerhead. Will this be a problem?

So my question is, what do I need to do at this point and tomorrow? And, are there affordable sumps out there (SE suburbs melbourne area)? Should I just buy another tank and get some glass cut to remake it? Will my tank survive the week it's going to take me to make it and let the silicone cure? Is there any point to keeping the sand and coral chips heated? Will it all help me establish a new sump without a huge cycle? Should I just go completely sand free?

I'm guessing I need to perhaps do a small water change (5%?) on all tanks daily/every two days?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I'm really nervous that this will completely f**k up my system, especially when setting up the sump again. I have had a string of bad experiences when moving/disturbing the tank.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
your tank should be able to cope without a skimmer and dsb, the bacteria should be built up enough in the display tank, if you have moved the dsb (what im guessing you have) it will have released anoxic bacteria into the water. (would crash your tank if you put it back in) it would need to cycle all over again.
i am for one not a fan of DSB's but thats just me

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
your tank should be able to cope without a skimmer and dsb, the bacteria should be built up enough in the display tank, if you have moved the dsb (what im guessing you have) it will have released anoxic bacteria into the water. (would crash your tank if you put it back in) it would need to cycle all over again.
i am for one not a fan of DSB's but thats just me
Thanks @MTG I've moved the DSB scoop by scoop into a tub. I think I'll take out the LR and coral chips and put them with clean, warm salt water to hopefully save the filter worms and other inhabitants on the rock.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Hey holly,

Bad news!
There are a few places around that should have a small sump on the shelve.
I would start the DSB from scratch if your going to use one.
What size is the sump?
If you need & if it fits, we have a Reef Octopus hang on back skimmer that will get you through until you can get something sorted.
May not look pretty but much better then nothing.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
@OSCAR85 - That's something I'd be likely to try and fail at lol

@holly - I don't know how big your sump is, but we have some spare tanks that you could use for a while to chuck in your skimmer/heater/LR chips/LR and return pump. It doesn't have dividers, but it could get you through for a period till you get a new one?

OR/ we have a square sump from our AquaReef 275 that we've never used that you could borrow? It's big and has a weird layout, but it would do the job!!

Start trawling the classifieds (incl places like gumtree) and see what you can dig up!!
If there's anything we can do, sing out!!

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Thanks for the replies everyone, no one likes a bit dirty crack :rolleyes

@OSCAR85 I thought of doing that - however the crack is a decent one down to the base so it will probably leak anyway :(

@Synodontis Thanks very much for the offer - I was going to get some rowaphos or some sort of media to deal with the phosphate build up in my tank anyway so I'll get some tomorrow and chuck it in the DT. That should see me through I think.

@TheJordans Thank you for the offers - I've had a look at my options and I can get a new 4ft braced tank for $69. If I then add 4 bits of glass for dividers and baffles I should be still under $80 with silicone. I don't think I could do better than that.

I think if I add a couple of 10% water changes this week I should be okay. I'm feeling a hell of a lot less stressed now - thanks for the support everyone :)

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Holly , You can just get a large plastic tub and use that as a sump until you get a new one .

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
not sure if this is a good idea so I'm happy for everyone to make judgement on it. But couldn't
Holly buy a square cut of glass put shit loads of silicon on it and slap in on over the crack? meh just a thought
ive done this once worked untill i could get a replacement :D

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
ive done this once worked untill i could get a replacement :D
Nice to know that it has worked okay for someone :)

Better use of my time and money making a new sump today. Now just have to wait 4 days for the silicone to cure! Setting up a plastic tub in the meantime :)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Nice to know that it has worked okay for someone :)

Better use of my time and money making a new sump today. Now just have to wait 4 days for the silicone to cure! Setting up a plastic tub in the meantime :)
ive allways been lucky to wait 24 hours :dead

dont listen to me tho i dont want to be to blame if something goes wrong :D

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
ive allways been lucky to wait 24 hours :dead

dont listen to me tho i dont want to be to blame if something goes wrong :D
hehe, yeah the tube says 7 days, aquarium glass cutter says 4 days, 1 day is okay. I'll meet in the middle :P