Reef Discussion

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Suggest an invertebrate friendly fish to add to my tank
Currently have an engineer goby and a damsel plus a healthy population of turbo snails. Wanting to add some other invertebrates later on.

Do you have any suggestions?

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
haha, I'm having the same dilemmas...can't think of some completely reef friendly fish for my 90 litre...at the moment I'm leaning towards a mated pair of fire fish maybe.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
A friend of mine had a pair of firefish and they are beautiful fish and so much personality! They were really timid fish but if anything ever came near their hole in the rock they would stick their fins up and harass the other fish for about a second before swimming off into its hole to hide again... they went on like this for years before one of his much largerl fish had enough one day ;)

I vote firefish for both of you!

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
A friend of mine had a pair of firefish and they are beautiful fish and so much personality! They were really timid fish but if anything ever came near their hole in the rock they would stick their fins up and harass the other fish for about a second before swimming off into its hole to hide again... they went on like this for years before one of his much largerl fish had enough one day ;)

I vote firefish for both of you!
only thing holding me back is the stories I've heard of them jumping...to many mixed reviews on the jumping business..and i got a hoodless tank...dont particularly want my fish ending up on the floor

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
my mates tank was hoodless and only a very small rim. He had 3 clowns and another fish I cant remember the name of... alll went carpet surfing and the firefish were still there :D make of that what you will!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Megan what size tank again? Orchid dotty backs are Beautifull fish, coral gobby, depending on tank size a dwarf angel?

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Its a 180L. This is my criteria for a new fish:
- won't eat my corals or snails
- hardy and long lived
- readily accepts prepared foods and can cope with being fed every 2nd day
- musn't resemble my engineer goby too closely or be able to fit in his/her mouth as there could be problems
- different colour to the fish I already have (black/white and electric blue/yellow)

I've been doing a bit of research today and I have a few ideas. Can you mix Barrier Reef Chromis and Green Chromis? Will they swim together?

Other options: Forktail blenny, Brachiosaur blenny (1 or a group of 3)

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
IME Chromis nitida (Barrier Reef Chromis) & C. viridis (Green Chromis) will swim together, although they won't really "interact" with each other, but stick more to their own species groups. To minimise aggression (remember these are part of the damsel family) you would need a group of 5, or just a single fish.. Also as you said your damsel is electric blue/yellow, I am assuming you have one of the following... Fijian Damsel, Starck's Damsel or a male OTB. All three of these guys get relatively agro as they age (we had a large fijian in a display tank and it readily confronted a breeding pair of tomato clowns!). You best option IMO would be to go for a dottyback of sorts, and in aggreance with greeny the orchid would be high on my list =) or even a flasher or fairy wrasse. Or if you like something a bit different what about a Samurai Squirrelfish? Or a pair of clowns?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Flame hawk... Never had issues with mine, they are cool fish.
I am 95 % sure they are reefsafe. Mine jumped the tank :(

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Flame Hawks are definitely not invertebrate safe, Nils. They go hell for leather on them. Knowing your budget would help a lot, Megan - there's a lot of beautiful fish in that size range that can be had, but unless we know what you're willing to spend it makes it harder to square in on them.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
I would love a flame hawkfish but I agree with nork-everything i've read says that they love crustaceans and snails

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Catalina goby ! Tiny bright red with blue stripes but hell expensive ! Only ever seen them go for $220+

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
There is a fish I have seen occasionally for sale that looks very much like an engineer goby but is completely red and smaller in size - anyone know what they are called?

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Budget is a moot point really - I have a limit but its is dependent on what it is!

The engineer goby is no more after I upgraded a powerhead and lost him in a very nasty accident :cry

Almost temped to just get a pair of clowns :p I saw an ad online for Picasso and Platinum clowns - do we have them in Australia now? The real deal?

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
The ones selling them say yes, the skeptic in me says no. ;) besides, unless you know somebody you're looking at the sunny side of a grand for a single Platinum, so pro'lly cross that off the list.