Reef Discussion

roamin

Nov 6, 2012
i want a stromb or 2 for my tank, what should i pay for them as prices vary but no shops seem to have them atm either. anyone know where i can get one from or sent to me? cheers ;)

Gordon

Jan 29, 2013
Casula
I know this is an old thread but I put three in my tank (1in my sump) about a week ago. My sump one went nuts cleaning like a legend. The two in my DT were much less active though. Two or three days later I suspected them of dying. Two of them (1 in the sump and 1 in the DT) are definitely dead! Everything else in my tank is healthy and happy? Is there anything in particular that these guys are susceptible to? Must be something for two of the three to die so quickly. Parameters all seem fine though and as I say everything else is happy?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
in my experience, they are generally hardy provided there is sufficient food available. I have hear of hermit crabs killing them for their shells. They are susceptible to all of the things that other molluscs are (eg. copper and other metallic elements)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I had the same thing Gordon! I bought one, it didn't look that active at the shop but I don't know much about them, certainly didn't look sick to me. Put it in my tank after long acclimation and it was dead less than 12 hours. Haven't tried again until I am more sure I want to put another 30 bucks into it (as bad as that sounds - sometimes the whole thing is just a waste! Money/animals life combined).

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Maybe it wasn't acclimatised properly? I have had my first stromb for almost two years now, I recently added a second one and they are mostly active. They will go through periods (days or weeks) where they stay buried.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Maybe it wasn't acclimatised properly? I have had my first stromb for almost two years now, I recently added a second one and they are mostly active. They will go through periods (days or weeks) where they stay buried.
Very possible, can't get it right every time. Not often something dies on me straight away so I wasn't keen to try one again.

Gordon

Jan 29, 2013
Casula
Yeah it's weird as one of the three is all good and reasonably active. The other two were way more active than the one still alive to start with though. I really think something must be off but can't figure out what it was. I was a little slack on acclimatising of them but still left them for a good while in their bag for temp and mixed 50 50 tank water before dropping them in.

Weird thing as I say is the two most active died though. Would have thought would be the other way around. I wondered if the ate something in the sand which was no good but the other one seems to be going great guns now after a week so that doesn't even make sense.

I might give it a couple of weeks and look at trying again.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I'd go drip acclimation for 2-3 hours in same temp water next time. Invertebrates are particularly sensitive to salinity changes.

This is literally what is happening to their cells:

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Yeah it's weird as one of the three is all good and reasonably active. The other two were way more active than the one still alive to start with though. I really think something must be off but can't figure out what it was. I was a little slack on acclimatising of them but still left them for a good while in their bag for temp and mixed 50 50 tank water before dropping them in.

Weird thing as I say is the two most active died though. Would have thought would be the other way around. I wondered if the ate something in the sand which was no good but the other one seems to be going great guns now after a week so that doesn't even make sense.

I might give it a couple of weeks and look at trying again.
Sounds like they starved, if they were really active and didn't have any nice algae to eat then they would still be hungry and thus remain very active. When fed well they have periods of sitting buried and activity :)

Gordon

Jan 29, 2013
Casula
Sounds like they starved, if they were really active and didn't have any nice algae to eat then they would still be hungry and thus remain very active. When fed well they have periods of sitting buried and activity :)
Nah there is no chance they starved in a couple of days. Plus if your saw my tank you'd know why that's impossible. Way too much for them to eat unfortunately. :)

Gordon

Jan 29, 2013
Casula
Yeah who knows right. All I can do is try to take a bit more care acclimatising them next time and hope for better luck

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Save opening a new thread, I'll dig up this one. I have an aptaisa growing out of a crack at the back of my stromb's shell. Will a pep shrimp have a go at a moving target? The other usual methods safe to try?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Does the aiptasia retract back in to the crack if you disturb it? I was just thinking if it doesnt retract back in to the crack, you might be able to scrape it off the shell.