Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Stage 2 : Equipment
Ok so i have purchased a full setup of a friend that had all the gear i was planning to buy anyway.

So far we have

Lighting : 6 bulb ATI Powermodule

Skimmer: Tunze 9004

Flow: Vortech MP10

Chiller: Hailea 150

Need to start looking at options for ATO Possibly the mini tunze? what about the smart ATO any feedback?

Vortech battery backup will probably be on the list to! Currently have a computer APC unit i can use for now

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Personally love my Smart ATO, you just need to be aware of its quirky setup procedure. Once set, you'll never know it is even there

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Sure! Basically, the length of time the unit runs for when you first plug it in determines all of the smarts of the unit. It saves that run time and then uses that to decide if your tank has a leak (topping off too much) or is not losing enough water.

I did once know the times, but have since forgotten. Basically, (using made up figures) if your initialisation time is 10 seconds - the unit will sense something is wrong if it tops off for more than 60 seconds in 24 hours. If it tops off for less than 5 seconds, it thinks something is wrong (again, made up figures).

The key is to let the unit run for a few seconds when you first fire it up. How many seconds will depend on your setup, Remember how long you tried for and if after 24-48hours you get an error, try a bit longer when you reset the unit. Mine needs a run time of a good 20-30 seconds on fire up. If i need to empty my sump, I just slide the unit down so it doesn't trigger. But if I need to cut power, just remember to let it run for that same length of time on fire up :)

The smarts can be a pain in the ass, but has saved me a couple of times (one for each situation ironically). My skimmer was wet skimming too much once and the ATO alarmed me that it was dumping too much fresh water in the tank before it became a real problem. Another time I hadn't completely closed the tap for my water change sysem and was getting a slow syphon into the tank. Smart ATO notified me again before it became an issue.

For ATO's to go to the next level, you really need a salinity sensor in there to really know what is happening in the tank. Can do that with a apex or profilux I guess, but it becomes an expensive ATO!!

Sam

Ian3145

Mar 15, 2014
Dumbalk, Sth Gippsland
Ok so i have purchased a full setup of a friend that had all the gear i was planning to buy anyway.

So far we have

Need to start looking at options for ATO Possibly the mini tunze? what about the smart ATO any feedback?

Vortech battery backup will probably be on the list to! Currently have a computer APC unit i can use for now

Love my Smart ATO. People say it's too smart but if you read the instructions, it's easy. Got mine from @K&J Aquatics , great service.:D

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside

So far we have

Try one of these, I run the whole system through it and just switch off what I don't need when the power is out.
It doesn't even blink on a power out.
CP85106-thb.jpg

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
if you want to have a read checkout stage 1 in the journal,
But its a 60x45x45 same size as my last one!
you're number 1 for asking questions that have already been answered in a thread parallel to the one you ask it in haha

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Try one of these, I run the whole system through it and just switch off what I don't need when the power is out.
It doesn't even blink on a power out.
View attachment 46157
have you got a link to this? i run a 900 one and have my vortechs in it, I had my whole system through the apex but it sucks too much power and only get like an hour out of it

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You guys don't give a damn how you spend my money do you? Now I have to try a Smart ATO, Boxermom WILL not be pleased!

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
have you got a link to this? i run a 900 one and have my vortechs in it, I had my whole system through the apex but it sucks too much power and only get like an hour out of it
I bought mine through U-Mart, which also have stores in Sydney but lots of places sell them and they come in varying power capacities.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php...c2je3wrg0uVWu6S33RM2Td8aAuLt8P8HAQ#googlebase
I like them over other units like APC because they have a read out screen that tells you the load going through and the amount of time it will supply power for, which is great to be able to switch different units off to get the most out it.
I run my new u-beaut 8 port switcher straight off it and it has everything plugged into it.
We get some really quick power on/offs here (brown outs) which instantly kill electrical components but this thing kicks in so seamlessly on a power out. Even my arduino doesn't even blink.
Plus the batteries are replaceable.
My unit has paid for itself many times over already.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
very imformative guys. sounds like the smart ato is the way to go with the setup im thinking @NiCd and i were just talking about problems if the ato keeps overfilling the tank if theres a blockage in the weir so sounds like that might be the way to go,
I might look at another ups my APC one is just an older 700va model with no screen so you dont realy know whats going on. either that or i could get the vortech battery backup (i do like that it slows the pump down)

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Welcome back mr green, lol as im getting out for abit. You come back in.. you cant escape this tank size can ya?

Old tank is pretty much identical in setup. (Y)