Tank Journal Archive

Kevinicus

Jan 4, 2012
SPS garden
Introduction:
I'm a techy guy who spends his day telling computers what to do. In my spare time I enjoy maintaing a reef tank because its something natural and secretly out of my control.

System Objectives: N a n o. I want a beautiful SPS dominated nano tank pushing the boundaries with a minimalistic approach.

System Type: SPS Dominated

Display System:

Strike up Date: 24 Dec 2010

Display Tank: ADA Garden cube M

Display Lighting: 2x PAR38

Sump: 20L storage tub

Support systems:

System Water: ASW

Display Water circulation: MP10

Return Pump: Eheim Compact+ 2000

Skimmer: Skims 121

Evaporation Top Up: Manual - I check the waters salinity daily.

Chemical Support:
I'm quite a rambo with my chemical support and rely on regular water changes to maintain the waters quality. In addition I lightly add Ca and Alk to the tank on the odd days. This is unmeasured dosage and an area I can improve on.

Calcium Addition: Manual
Alkilinity Addition: Manual
Other Chemical Maintenance: None
Current Water Chemistry: If applicable
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

To all the visitors, please don't leave without posting a few words. The thread is to share my experiences with you but to also capture any feedback.

Sun 01 May, 2011 11:03 pm
ai207.photobucket.com_albums_bb93_nguyenke_P4300024.jpg

Thu 13 Oct, 2011 5:42 pm

ai207.photobucket.com_albums_bb93_nguyenke_dd72dd38.jpg

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
About bloody time you put you TJ up on here Kev!

To all those that dont know Kevin he is one of those guys that pops up in all of sydneys reefing circles and shares my nano passions

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Didn't even realise you had a mame overflow until I saw NiCd's post-it's really not intrusive at all-had to go and look for it in your pic-does it work as well as they say?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
:welcome Unreal tank mate i have a soft spot for nanos. plan to make any improvements?

Kevinicus

Jan 4, 2012
Hi everyone and thanks for the welcoming!

The mame overflow has really been the piece of equipment that has allowed SPS to even survive in the small tank. The overflow connects to a plastic tub which allows me to put clunky things like a fat skimmer and a simple sock.
ai207.photobucket.com_albums_bb93_nguyenke_P3130017.jpg

THE BAD
I'm so sick of my snails pushing frags over! Especially when they are glued in a specific way and the snail decides it looks better on the ground. I've just spent the last 15 minutes gluing things back in hope this time they stay longer.
I've also just busted my pepper mint shrimp feeding on my zoas. I suppose it means that hes a little hungry.

THE GOOD
For the first time in my life, I have brought a BROWN strawberry shortcake back to life! I had pink tips and now I can clearly see the green flesh. The colours are a bit dull apart from the fluro tips but to see colour on this piece is really something I am extremely proud of!Algae is at a new low. Overall manual removing algae and better water quality has been made all the difference. I'm again very please with the results.

THE NEW
I got a small frag of NiCd's curse: blue xenia. Currently fish-netted onto a stone and waiting for it to start pulsating, if it ever does! The water may be too clean for this!

Removed my DIY CREE LED unit and I'm now running 2x par38s at the moment on a really unique light stand. Photos to come lads. It really removed the fuss of DIY and gave me a more professional look.

I'm currently looking for some more nice pieces to add to my collection. Some nice monties I think.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
is it just the strom that is the bull dozer?

That FTS is looking nice, how come you let your coraline go?

Kevinicus

Jan 4, 2012
thanks NiCd!
yeah, the storm helps turn over the substrate which has been working well. Hes a bit of a bad boy at times. He likes to climb up and drop himself which sometimes gets him landing on frags that are close to the side glass. Sigh!

I'll confess Ive been lazy cleaning the coraline. It requires a lot of elbow grease and all I've done is the front glass piece heh...

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
maybe try a cerith? they are a little more nano friendly

Do you use a razor or just a normal glass cleaner?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I have one so not much chance of breeding going on there, I was going to hit darren up for an order of them in about 3 months time if you want in as well

Kevinicus

Jan 4, 2012
Just a quick snap, everything is going ok! Had one milli frag die but the rest is powering on!