Reef Discussion

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Any updates on this? Mine is still just sitting in sump with no noticeable effect (that I can see)

Has been about a month on mine so still some time to go, didn't end up using anything to kickstart bacteria so it will take a bit longer.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
It works but I think it just requires patience ... but what do I know LOL the final result came in as No3 = 0 ppm but I have no idea if that is the Siporax that does the work or something else; nothing certain in this world of Marine Aquaria

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
My Siporax has been in my tank for over 5 months now and I'm struggling with too little nutrients in the tank.
I beleive I struggled with this before the Siporax as I had lot of marine pure in before hand but misinterpreted the paling of the corals and very slow stn to bleaching caused by the LED's being too bright.
I'm now putting in a ridiculous amount of food for the size of the tank and trying to get the 4 fish to eat as much as possible!
The past couple of years I havent tested nitrate and phosphate very often because it always came back 0 and I thought that was good.
I actually always thought my Hanna phosphate checker was broken as I always got 0.00 readings..
Now I realize how bad that is after losing a couple starved acros.
It definitely works! :p

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Here's something I noticed with Goniopora corals, they LOVE the shake shake off of it. I've cut my vinegar dosing back about 1/3 and my Gonioporas have never looked better, go figure. I do add Seachem Plus every other day too and when I don't dose for 3 days they get pissed off.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Going great here, I deployed bins into the runs and they're going well. The 50 here at home is doing better and better each day, phosphates and nitrates are dropping.I can't say that pre loading them with bacteria is speeding the process along though. I've tried 3 different types of bacteria cultures and there's no difference in the speed at which everything starts to drop. My advice is to save your money for corals down the road.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Mines been in a month and a half and I haven't noticed much change

Does anyone know if placement of it effects its ability to remove nitrates? I know its supposed to be low oxygen but does it create a low oxygen area of should i try go for as deep and low movement as possible

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I'm wondering if I ought to put a small pump in that section? What do you think? It's starting to really kick in now. The diatoms I was seeing are almost gone now.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
This is how I have mine for now. 4l of Seachem Matrix in the sump. The floaters are in the bag.
I will probably separate it in to two containers because I spill the matrix out too easily like this.
It has been in for a couple of weeks now and my phos has gone from 0.11 to 0.03 but I don't know if the matrix would have caused this?
Nitrates have remained steady at 2 for the whole time.

Attachments

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Added some more siporax into my weir now - still fighting some diatoms or cyano from the first part i put in (not sure if this is the cause though)

So now i have one in my weird in one in my sump in the return compartment - if it starts to work out better ill replace my tiny refugium with more siporax because I seem to get a good amount of life jumping around the siporax anyway.

Anyone else just leave it in the mesh bag it comes in for easy shaking?

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Added some more siporax into my weir now - still fighting some diatoms or cyano from the first part i put in (not sure if this is the cause though)

So now i have one in my weird in one in my sump in the return compartment - if it starts to work out better ill replace my tiny refugium with more siporax because I seem to get a good amount of life jumping around the siporax anyway.

Anyone else just leave it in the mesh bag it comes in for easy shaking?
My sump section that my siporax sits in fits two mesh bags on top of each other, I'll occasionally pull the top bag out and give it a shake in the return section and let the mulm and bacteria flood into the display.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
This is how I have mine for now. 4l of Seachem Matrix in the sump. The floaters are in the bag.
I will probably separate it in to two containers because I spill the matrix out too easily like this.
It has been in for a couple of weeks now and my phos has gone from 0.11 to 0.03 but I don't know if the matrix would have caused this?
Nitrates have remained steady at 2 for the whole time.
Nitrates have dropped down to ~0.25. It actually looks barely above zero on my Red Sea pro kit.