Off-Topic

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
My 90mm macro lens has been received, just waiting on the camera now - hopefully should be here early next week.

BTW, my pumps are in Australia - picked up by DHL in Germany on 11/10/11, on the plane 13/10/11 and arrived in Australia on 17/10/11. It looks like it will take longer for them to find their way to Hobart than the trip from Germany to Australia.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
OK, everything was received today - camera, lenses, pumps, controller ,,,,

Didn't want to upset the wife by having all these goodies at once, so I have kept the pumps etc hidden for another day or so;)

I have also been out tonight but, from a 15 minute play with the camera I want to say one thing

It is just as easy to take crap pictures with a good camera as it is to take crap pictures with a crap camera:p

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
OK - here are some of my first attempts with my new Tamron 90mm Macro Lens

Macro1.jpg
Macro2.jpg

Macro3.jpg
Macro4.jpg

Macro5.jpg
Macro6.jpg

Macro7.jpg

I have made no colour adjustments to these pictures, although the white LED's had started to dim (15 minutes into the 1 hour sunset cycle).

All comments appreciated.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It takes a bit of getting used to - the depth of field is ridiculously small and I probably need an external flash so I can get a faster shutter speed.

I was shooting in Aperture Priority mode at F18 and an ISO of 1600 but the Shutter Speed was still around 1/10. Hopefully Sidd will have some suggestions.

I was really happy with the yellow tang picture :)

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Did you play with the fly in any way( ie play with photoshop or equivalent that is before I get misconstrued) -brilliant pic

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Did you play with the fly in any way( ie play with photoshop or equivalent that is before I get misconstrued) -brilliant pic
Hi firebird

No, RAW file sharpened slightly and cropped but no changes to colour in any way - one advantage of shooting with natural light is that you get the natural iridescence created by the sun light.

I will add that I took about 50 pictures of this fly and ended up with about 10 good ones - the depth of field with the 90mm Tamron lens is extremely small which makes it difficult to get the right bit in focus. I am sure I will get better with practice - I also took about 50 pictures of a bumble bee, none of which were acceptable for publication ;)