Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
For someone who has owned a reef aquarium for less than 18 months you seem to be very sure of yourself :rolleyes

If you think the members on this forum are so wrong why not post up the video of your tank on the other forums where you are active (RTAW and ReefCentral) and get a second opinion? I doubt you will though, because it could be a bit embarrassing if you get the same response.

You seem to need someone to provide some scientific evidence before you will believe that what you are doing is wrong - do you understand the concept of 'common sense'?

Anyone with a modicum of common sense would realise that jumping off the top of a 10 story building without any safety gear would not be a smart thing to do. Can I provide any scientific evidence of this - no because, unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any willing participants to take part in my study.

A couple of definitions for you:

Common Sense - Sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts.
Pigheadedness - A simple unwillingness to be wrong. Ever. Founded on any number of reasons including insecurities, fear, incomprehension, anger, and fear of ridicule, pigheadedness is the cause of many an irrational and unjustifiable decision or action.

I have no problem with people 'pushing the boundaries' as that is how this hobby can develop, but what you are doing is just cruel.

Neillw

Sep 26, 2013
For someone who has owned a reef aquarium for less than 18 months you seem to be very sure of yourself :rolleyes

If you think the members on this forum are so wrong why not post up the video of your tank on the other forums where you are active (RTAW and ReefCentral) and get a second opinion? I doubt you will though, because it could be a bit embarrassing if you get the same response.

You seem to need someone to provide some scientific evidence before you will believe that what you are doing is wrong - do you understand the concept of 'common sense'?

Anyone with a modicum of common sense would realise that jumping off the top of a 10 story building without any safety gear would not be a smart thing to do. Can I provide any scientific evidence of this - no because, unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any willing participants to take part in my study.

A couple of definitions for you:

Common Sense - Sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts.
Pigheadedness - A simple unwillingness to be wrong. Ever. Founded on any number of reasons including insecurities, fear, incomprehension, anger, and fear of ridicule, pigheadedness is the cause of many an irrational and unjustifiable decision or action.

I have no problem with people 'pushing the boundaries' as that is how this hobby can develop, but what you are doing is just cruel.
He already did on the NSW Reefing Club Facebook page, the results where very very brutal.

E

ezza

Hi Azedenkae,

I would site the video you have submitted as strong evidence that the tang is clearly not suited to the enclosure you are keeping it in and regardless of the "recommendations" surrounding the keeping of any fish, if I saw one of my fish behaving in such a manner, I would take immediate steps to change its environment.

Given the ease of access you have to larger enclosures for this fish and that fact that you refuse to take up those opportunities is what I personally find disturbing.

Cheers
Ads
I agree with this. It reminds me of this:

Jen

Oct 4, 2013
Azedenkae,
Do you realise that even though this poor excuse for a tank, is not directly associated with Majestic Aquarium, now that is common knowledge that YOU work at this reputable store ( even though behind the scenes, thank god) YOU have now bought the name of this aquarium into disrepute. Who, in all seriousness is going to trust or follow any advise given by anyone at this store. I agree with many in this post when they say YOU should be locked away in a tiny 1m x 1m cube but as long as we feed you at least 3 - 5 times a day and clean your cell out at least twice a week, you'll be fine running around in circles to keep yourself amused.
Please enlighten us all concerned about your fish of your evidence that they will all be fine, suffer from no disease or stress and grow up big and strong and healthy.
I truly hope that Paul from Majestic Aquariums breaks into your house, kicks your ass from here to the other side of the world, then drops you like a hot potato from HIS place of employment. You have obviously learnt nothing from him or anyone else, you are just another typical stubborn, pigheaded male who can never be wrong about anything.
Good luck with any of you future endeavors, anything else other than keeping animals I truly hope. Unless YOU are being used a bait for a dog fight.

Last edited:

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@Azedenkae I notice that you have listed this tank for sale.

To quote from your listing

So my last Clownfish jumped last night, and that is the final straw. Gonna get rid of this.
Since you started this tank you have refused to listen to the sound advice provided by many members on this forum and continued to stock inappropriate fish in a small tank. You defended your actions on the basis that 'you knew best' and that there was no scientific evidence to suggest that what you were doing was wrong.

In hindsight, and for the benefit of other new members who may be just starting out in this hobby, are you prepared to acknowledge that you may have been wrong?

I note that no fish are being sold with the tank - did any survive this little experiment of yours?

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
@Azedenkae I notice that you have listed this tank for sale.

To quote from your listing

Since you started this tank you have refused to listen to the sound advice provided by many members on this forum and continued to stock inappropriate fish in a small tank. You defended your actions on the basis that 'you knew best' and that there was no scientific evidence to suggest that what you were doing was wrong.

In hindsight, and for the benefit of other new members who may be just starting out in this hobby, are you prepared to acknowledge that you may have been wrong?

I note that no fish are being sold with the tank - did any survive this little experiment of yours?
Hi there, I am willing to acknowledge one wrong - I should have gotten a lid. Otherwise, there is nothing else to acknowledge as wrong.

Besides jumping, which happens to everyone, and is something I should have prepare for, the fish was healthy and active, and has grown heaps.

The Regal Tang is about half a year away from outgrowing the tank, which is fine as I was 3 months away from moving and upgrading. The Citron Goby is also still chilling like a boss.

Corals are doing great as well.

So what's there to acknowledge as wrong, besides my lid-less mistake, which wasn't even an agenda to begin with. So excuse me if I still don't acknowledge that you guys are right.

I am (or was) still waiting for that eventual tank crash/disease ridden fish/etc. that was talked about.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi there, I am willing to acknowledge one wrong - I should have gotten a lid. Otherwise, there is nothing else to acknowledge as wrong.
I really can't be bothered making too many more comments as you clearly have no interest in learning - at 24 years of age I truly hope you are unlike the majority of your generation or else the future of this country is on shaky ground.

Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them.
Bruce Lee

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
Oh I admit the mistake, clearly and continuously. I didn't have a lid, and when the fish jumped, nothing stopped it died.

I am not going to admit to something just for the sake of pleasing a group of people though.

Besides the fact that my fish jumped and died, due to a fault of mine, how else am I at fault? Does putting fish in a larger tank stop them from jumping? Nope...

That's all I am going to say on this topic. If you really think all of what I did in regards yo this tank was wrong due to my Clownfish jumping out, then I can't stop you.

I admit what is wrong, not what people just want me to admit. It could be the same thing at times, but not in this case.

@Sam Parker: Yeah, definitely. I didn't have the jumping issue initially, so never made much of it. But this stuff only needs to happen once, and due to my carelessness with lids, it happened. :( To my favourite too.

Gonna recommend it from now on, and will get one if/when I ever set up a tank again. Lesson learnt. The very harsh, terrible way.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
@Azedenkae I have had a look at your pics and your blog a number of times - it is obvious that you feed your fish and keep your tank clean.

My only comment to you that I would like you to consider, and I am not interested in criticising you to be clear, is that the things that you have experimented with are already well known in this hobby and there was no need to conduct an experiment for yourself. Your experiment with not feeding a Tubastrea to see if it could survive on its own is a good example of this.

I hope that if you take on any more experiments you will choose areas of this hobby that are still not understood or explored fully and set things up in a way that give you the best chance of success, rather than try to find out for yourself what is already known and deliberately going against it. In order to progress in this hobby we need to have a clear purpose in what we are trying to achieve yeah?

Darkspartan

May 11, 2012
Canberra
Lesson learnt. The very harsh, terrible way.
The very harsh, terrible lesson you learnt.... 'was not having a lid..' I think I just spewed in my mouth a little...

I stumbled upon your video this morning before work and I was actually very disheartened. But being disheartened was not from the fact that those fish were crazily swimming at weird angles without anywhere to actually call their own but the complete and utter bad attitude as sometimes fresh people on the marine block make purchase mistakes (yes, it's sad someone buys a yellow tang, succumbs to ich and the whole tank of fish die) but generally that doesn't happen again for that individual as they 'learn'.

I don't accept us having to justify to you with what we know from years of keeping fish and then it being utterly wrong because we don't have scientific evidence about appropriate tank size for fish. So would you think it's ok to throw a great white shark in a home pool.... oh wait, that's ok he's only a metre long now... Most of us started with pico or nano tanks and learnt fast the restrictions on keeping marine flora and fauna (no need for scientific journals for that).

Frankly, I'm tired... absolutely tired, of people who frequent forums with their pigheaded bs and I'm of the view The Reefuge was kind not throwing you from our little well meaning community.

What also made me quite annoyed is I felt like messaging you pretending to be interested in your sale so I could take it off your hands no matter the price, in the hope you would never consider reefing again... Donate it to someone who sees this is a positive journey and experience instead of a way to prove how powerful you are over the life and death of small creatures you clearly lack the intelligence to appreciate.

@The Reefuge feel free to blast me for this post... I've been annoyed by the whole thing all day.

Last edited: