Reef Discussion

Mar 1, 2014
Sea Urchin
8year old black short spine sea urchin is losing some spikes. I ave had him since he was a speck and want to save him. Any suggestions. He is moving slow. Doesn't go very far at night. I just noticed three spikes on the sand the other day. This is not normal for him. Please help

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Hey Felicity, i can have a look online to see what i can find.

would you like me to move this to urgent tank support? or is it just curiosity question?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
To quote from http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rs/index.php

The fact that the spines are covered, in whole or in part, with living epidermis in most urchins has an important implication for their care, by the way. If you have a sea urchin, and it starts to lose or "drop" spines, that animal is in very serious and probably non-recoverable trouble. Each dropped or lost spine represents an open wound on the surface of the animal. While one or two spines may be lost from time to time, the wholesale loss of spines results from malnutrition or disease and leaves the surface of the body open for massive infection. Such an occurrence generally represents a terminal condition. The urchin typically dies within a few days of when it starts to drop spines.
From a quick search it appears that they are susceptable to high nitrate levels ?

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
doesn’t sound good from what Magic found online, I wonder if you have a pistol or a shrimp or a Mantis shrimp that is having ago at it?
Have you added any corals or Live rock lately that could of had a hitchhiker ?

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Only things I can think to suggest is to make sure your water quality is top notch - so if you need to, do a big water change... but do it very carefully. Sea urchins are more sensitive to rapid temperature and salinity changes than corals or fish. Make sure you match your salinity and temperature when adding the new water and make any changes to the temp or salinity slowly after that. I would suggest slightly lowering your salinity to 1.022 to 'hydrate' the urchin and reduce the amount of energy he is using on basic cell function.

Check all your equipment to make sure its in good working order (ie. you're looking for signs of rust).

Other thing to do is to get a piece of meaty food (pulverised and frozen into a little block so its easy to use) and place it under him where his mouth parts are. I used to 'hand feed' my urchins this way when I had them in a 28 litre. When you pick him up, do it slowly and gently and try to avoid picking him up when he is in full locomation with all of his feet out and suctioning, as you could accidentally damage a few of his feet if he grips on. Do you know what he has been eating all this time?

Mar 1, 2014
Hey everyone. Thank you for all your comments. I didn't realise they were up as I had no notices of them.

I don't think it could be the water quality because in my last tank I could not keep anything but the urchin lived on. No sure the exact variety of urchin it is but it is black body with short spines (3-5 cm) and around each spine is a little white / purple ring.

There doesn't seem to be any gaps in the spikes, like what was lost has a new one. He moved his spines a fair bit when I tried the meaty food.

It is looking a little better.

I will keep you posted

One of mine was miserable no matter what I did until I started putting small quantities of (unflavoured) nori in, on a clip near the bottom.

Sometimes it would ignore the nori & I would throw it out after a couple of days & replace it. Other times it would devour it. I came to the the conclusion (not very scientifically) that nori is a poor primary food but a good supplementary item if changed out regularly. They take it when they need it, much like a dog eating grass.

I had similar experiences with rabbitfish.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Good to hear its looking a little better, I'd keep up the feeding with meaty foods once or twice a week - sounds like it still has a good appetite. Getting an ID would be helpful, I know exactly what yours looks like from your description but dont know the name of it.

Mar 1, 2014
Hi guys. I have a pic and a very short video. For the life of me I can't post it up (don't know if it is because all I have is an old iPad) would anyone mind me emailing it to you and then you can post??

I have now taken him out and put him in a little tank all by himself so hopefully he can eat.

I cannot find an id for this urchin.

Felicity, I know this is a really difficult one to answer but are you sure it lost its spikes as opposed to breaking them? Is there any evidence of spike stubs where they may have broken?

In the video I think I can see where spikes are missing but at that resolution and with my eyes, I can't tell if there are stubs.

I've got to say that visually it seems to have no obvious serious issues but it's only a brief snapshot.

Maybe @Dr. Schell could help?

Last edited:

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi guys. I have a pic and a very short video. For the life of me I can't post it up (don't know if it is because all I have is an old iPad) would anyone mind me emailing it to you and then you can post??

I have now taken him out and put him in a little tank all by himself so hopefully he can eat.
Hello @Felicity goodall,

Click on "Upload Files" next to the post reply button. This will allow you to post pics.

Thanks.