Reef Discussion

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
+ 1 for malnutrition for you scooter blenny, an unfortunate demise suffered by many, including the related mandarins.

It's impossible to keep these fish unless you can get them onto prepared foods like NLS. There is simply not enough natural fauna to support them in our DT for prolonged periods. They will quickly deplete micro fauna in the tank. Brine shrimp are offer little nutritional value.

You an supplement micro fauna like Copepods and juvenile Amphipods via breeding or collection, however long term success of scooter blennys and mandarins is only guaranteed when they eat prepared foods on a daily basis. The same can be said for all goby species, including sand sifting varieties. Prepared food acceptance is a must.

If I may suggest some smaller fish varieties that drily accept flake, pellets and other meaty foods, you could try a bicolour blenny, 6 lined wrasse, banana wrasse, lime wrasse, chromis and small damsel fish. Do your research however, some of these fish may not be suitable for your tank.

If you can score a large splendid or psycedelic mandarin, and have the time, these tend to accept NLS pellets with gusto fairly quickly. Again, there are methods to ensure they are feeding on prepared foods during quarantine before you introduce them to your DT.

Good luck.....:)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Go for a bicolour blenny - great characters, usually eat like pigs, and don't get too large. A lawnmower blenny can grow to be large in time.

Ask your LFS to show you fish feeding on pellets etc too, will save you a lot of grief in the longer term.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I second a bicolour blenny. Really good fish, eat anything and lots of it!
Gets on we'll with rather aggressive clowns in the tank. Very interesting fish and would be a good choice.

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
yeah they are quite cool. if i can find a mandarin that eats prepared foods then i will get that. but if not, bicolour blenny it is :) still trying to get my scape the way i want it. will hold off on getting a new tank mate till then. hopefully i dont find a mandarin that eats prepared foods till then (i doubt it) haha

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
Are these called a stigmata blenny also...awesome fish, and great photo. Blennys are AWESOME!!!

I have a mature bicolour and chestnut eyelash blenny, (Rarely seen WA Blenny from Rowley Shoals I think), living long term together. No fighting but a few standoffs.

Would have more if I could, but failed in my endeavour to introduce others....

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
no this is not a stigmata blenny. but still a good looking fishy! i went down to reeflections today as i was in the area and they had one that looked similar to this. wasnt sure if it was though so stayed away. bought myself a gold hammer and a stromb snail though :D

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Here is my red spot....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368606854.743436.jpg

Reeflections have had a steady stream for a while. He eats frozen, live and flake but isn't interested in pellets!

Chris got a pic of that wa Blenny?

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
that is one healthy looking blenny! :worship
it did look similar to that but it wasn't as bright. i saw it in the tank and then 5 minutes it was gone. the other guy in the shop must of purchased it. either that or the red spot ducked out of the tank for a quick tick to grab some groceries.

how much do these guys usually go for?

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
He's way to fast for a photo, but this is the closest I can get from an Internet pic. They do exhibit colouration variations too.
image.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I used to have a stigmata, I was lucky to see it once per day until it started to get used to my tank. it was super skittish. Most of them that I have seen for sale are usually a purple colour, I have only seen one that looked like the one above. The blenny now lives in @Rob's tank

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
i also heard they were quite skittish. real shame considering how beautiful they are. you'd want those kind of fish to be the show offs in the tank haha