Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Rw8 ... Holy Batman
Got my delivery from Fish Street (AU Warehouse) yesterday, an RW8 Wavemaker and a DC3000 pump (either for my biopellets or return, I have an Eheim 3000+ doing the return job right now).

So anyway, the RW8. Bit bigger than I imagined, but not too bad on the back wall against the black, just the damn white impeller stands out a bit.

But the power, oh man ... I can't even run it at 10% on any of the modes except W1 (pulsing) without losing my entire sandbed at the front of the tank.

On W1 I can go up to 40% and get a great wave movement happening around the tank, so happy with that. The only challenge is that the wave makes the overflow noisy as it sucks in air on the downward waves.

So need to decide whether to stick with it or sell it on and order an RW4 instead. Wish I had read up on the ridiculous power these things have vs size of tank and ordered an RW4 to start with (the fact they aren't available from the AU warehouse and hte desire for strong SPS-ready flow swung me to the RW8).

Might monitor for a week or two and see how the overflow noise goes.

Love the pump otherwise - silent, easy to control, good length of wires to the controller/power etc.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I had the exact same problem haha I went with the RW8 in my tank to start with and was just blown away :p lol I went with the rw4 instead and it's much easier to use, I find there's a pretty big difference between the models but I need to go back and have a play with my rw4's again when I'm back.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I had the exact same problem haha I went with the RW8 in my tank to start with and was just blown away :p lol I went with the rw4 instead and it's much easier to use, I find there's a pretty big difference between the models but I need to go back and have a play with my rw4's again when I'm back.
What size is your tank? Hmm 600x600? Yeah similar then.

Do you find 1x RW4 is plenty of flow? Which mode do you use?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
What size is your tank? Hmm 600x600? Yeah similar then.

Do you find 1x RW4 is plenty of flow? Which mode do you use?
I have 2 of them going in my tank and I've got a decent wave going on (W1) so I'm pretty happy, needs a bit of tweaking but that's me. I think I'm going to take them over when I move to 750x750 but going to bump up my return and add in a tunze as well haha I'll see how that goes though :)
Other than that they're great!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I had the same problem with the RW20's in my 6ft tank. The amount of flow these pumps make is insane for their size!

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
I have been using jebao wave makers/return pump for just over a year now and love them haven't played with the RW series yet.. I wouldn't use any other brand for the price and the service/warranty claims from fish street are really good.. If you want to make your wave makers more controllable have a look into the the jbwave makes them fully controllable adjustable in 1% increments and other functions..

E

ezza

This sounds like something I need to investigate! I am in need of ridiculously chaotic strong flow. Link me?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I have been using jebao wave makers/return pump for just over a year now and love them haven't played with the RW series yet.. I wouldn't use any other brand for the price and the service/warranty claims from fish street are really good.. If you want to make your wave makers more controllable have a look into the the jbwave makes them fully controllable adjustable in 1% increments and other functions..
Hmm cost as much as the wavemaker! Looks great but not sure I need that level of control ...

I did think about getting one of these: http://www.fish-street.com/product_details.php?item_id=597
I think that would allow for greater flow control?

http://m.fish-street.com/jebao_wireless_rw-8_wave_maker

Cool! It might be exactly what I'm looking for actually. :)
These are the Australian stock: http://www.fish-street.com/jebao_wireless_rw-8_wave_maker_au_delivery
Much cheaper and faster delivery (was about a week from ordering and standard AP delivery fee I think).

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
Those power supplies help to back the power off greatly @chimaera if you don't need the jbwave then this is your other option. They actually used to come with every wavemaker up to a few months ago..

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Those power supplies help to back the power off greatly @chimaera if you don't need the jbwave then this is your other option. They actually used to come with every wavemaker up to a few months ago..
Good to know, thanks. If I get around to another FS order I'll grab one of these. For $10 worth trying, might help me get more out of the RW8 than just the one mode at minimum power levels currently being used.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I have two in a 4x2x2, run them about 30% otherwise I have a sandstorm. I direct one into the rockwork which helps a lot, might be helpful for you as well?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
For now I have settled on:
  • W1
  • 30% power
  • Medium speed

This causes all sorts of turbulence and a very slight wave, but not too much overflow noise and not too much sand displacement.

I found that tweaking the speed it is easy to get a bigger wave going, but 1) I don't have too much space above the water line so don't want to risk it sloshing over and 2) causes more overflow noise.

The coral gobies aren't fans of the flow ... haha, particularly the black one. He's found a spot on the glass in the corner in the calmest area and has been hanging there since (actually somewhat of an improvement on never seeing him!). The clown is much less adventurous too, not moving far from its hammer home (whereas recently it was roaming the tank).