Reef Discussion

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
RSM 400 LED Mod/Upgrade Advise
Hi all I got my first power bill this week and I think I may have to upgrade to LEDs when its time for my bulb replacement in a few months, the guys at aurburn aquarium.

Ive been looking and saw some cree led lights that fit in t5 tubes, details of this a pretty slim so does anyone have another other suggestions.

I would like them to fit in my built-in RSM ballasts if possible.

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
OK mate will, do it when I get back from work,

I have also redone my Aquascape and added part of my sand so will update my TJ too!

FYI ive found these guys that fit but ive never heard of them before, was wondering if anyone has some opinions on them
AQUABEAM aquaray

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
scott got some photos of them working they have them on display in Auburn aquariums...i personally dont like the look but thats coming from using a mitras lol the Aqua Illumination ones are decent too

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
they also have this cool new touch controller that is like the ELOS a little lol but a qtr of the price

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I love the clean look of the hood, so I would look at upgrading with something like the ecoxotic stunner strips.

http://www.ecoxotic.com/catalog/product/view/id/143/s/stunner-led-strips-18-watt/category/17/

I believe you should be able to fit a strip in each tube space giving you 10x 18w or 180 watts which would crank, but the big advantage I see is that you could upgrade one at a time at about $95 a hit.

Disadvantage i see is the chip sets they are using but lets face it, it is pretty cheap like you are talking double the cost of an ATI tube

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I really want to keep the hood if I can help it, I liked the look of the tank so if a can modify the hood I would prefer but if it has to go i would do it reluctantly.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
you can probably find a way to make it work a lot of people do :)

good thing about a lot of LFS they have one on display and most have a lighting mod lol

Le Aquatic got rid of their smaller one with the mods but can show you how to do it no problem :)

Scottrotton

Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Well theres still a few things im going to explore first. I may just remove the inner workings, buy a DIY kit and drill directly into the heatsink, seems a shame to waste such a well desgin hood, it will save my the cost of a heat sink and I will be able to do each part of the hood seperatly, so in 3 stages.

I had found this which would work with a bit of luck but I still need to do much more research

http://www.rapidled.com/standard-125g-tank-dimmable-kit/