Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Ricordea Propogation
I have had my large orange Ricordea for a few years but it has never thrown a pup. Given its size (and value) I have always been reluctant to take a knife to it. During a recent talk with @somethingfishy76 he mentioned that a new ric will develop if a part of the foot can be seperated from the rest of the foot.

So, this is a picture of my ric a short time after the lights turned off last night - it has begun to withdraw slightly and you can see a perfect place to seperate part of the foot.

Ric-4.jpg

@somethingfishy76 - do you agree that this looks like a perfect place to put the knife into action?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
When my rics get to that stage the small part of the foot usually separates and a new ric forms. It almost looks like a bright green smudge on the rock which makes it easy to spot.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I have had my large orange Ricordea for a few years but it has never thrown a pup. Given its size (and value) I have always been reluctant to take a knife to it. During a recent talk with @somethingfishy76 he mentioned that a new ric will develop if a part of the foot can be seperated from the rest of the foot.

So, this is a picture of my ric a short time after the lights turned off last night - it has begun to withdraw slightly and you can see a perfect place to seperate part of the foot.

View attachment 55044

@somethingfishy76 - do you agree that this looks like a perfect place to put the knife into action?
I have a large greeny -purple looking one that has 2 pups growing off the side of it

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Like others that's what both mine look like when they throw a pup, as yours looks now mine will usually separate within a week.
I've found they will create them much faster when they are moving around, I've got one that over a couple years has left a trail of over 10 as its circled around.
I reckon you'd be safe taking a sharp knife to that spot in between.
Of course we wanna see pictures when u do!

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Only issue with doing them this way is the time to get a new big ric. Probably years till it is full size, though orange do tend to be one of the faster growers. While they are very small they grow very slow as the get bigger they grow incrementally much faster.

Knife wont hurt the big ric but you probably need to move the bub out from under into the light for it to develop. It is a good low risk tactic.

E

ezza

It is an amazing colour! I don't think I've seen anything like it! Do you know its name?

E

ezza

Ummmm - orange with green base Ricordea yuma :confused:

Sorry, but I am not into the super, master, AAA grade names that some like to use :rolleyes
I was thinking of the Latin name! But it's all good. It is beautiful

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Ummmm - orange with green base Ricordea yuma :confused:

Sorry, but I am not into the super, master, AAA grade names that some like to use :rolleyes
The worst part is, my fellow countrymen keep buying them and there was one at MACNA that was $6000. Someone's laughing all the way to the bank. I buy them up off the WYSIWYG lists all the time, mark them up substantially more than I do other corals and they're the first things to go. And as for the naming them, I'm with you MJ.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
@ReeferRob but why would your countryman pay $000's for a R. Yuma when they can buy R. florida for a fraction of the price?
Because they're dumb as a box of rocks? I think that it's all about braggin' rights here. I have the most expensive/biggest/best of whatever it is. Moronic I know, but that's how the dumb ones here roll mate. I laugh all the way to the bank. My standard mark up is double on staple fish/inverts/corals, items like that is 4x. So if I pay $200 for one, I sell it for $800 and they sell out first. I don't think they last more than a day. There are some really nice ones on the list for this Sunday, we'll see what we get. I get quite a few of them too, i don't understand it. A rock with 4 on it is $375 so I break up the rock and sell each one for $375. I'd love to get out in areas where nobody collects to see what colour morphs are out there, there have to be some extraordinary colours out there yet to be collected and propagated.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I've had pups forms from the feet of Rics, but I find the pups that form this way are far more sensitive than the parent. I think maybe they fall off the rock. Perhaps to get away from the parent???

I've also formed pups from other mushrooms when the rock they are on breaks apart so bits of the foot are torn off. But those mushrooms were much faster growers than rics and almost always survived.

I would not risk cutting your Ric unless you got advice from one of the pro breeders.

From what I been told Rics appear more susceptible to bacterial infection than mushrooms when cut. So, your Rics could get that condition when they start to ooze crap and then disintegrate. Apparently this can spread to other Rics.

So, I'd consider sawing off a bit of the rock, with the piece of foot attached and then letting that piece of rock hang somehow so that the foot is gradually pulled away from the rest of the Ric rather than cut the foot off. It might be a slow process, but I think there's less chance of infection. I would then place the frag in a protected position.

I had done this with other mushrooms and it's worked really well.