Tank Journal Archive

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
How big is the actual pump? Maybe a photo with something next to it for reference purposes?
@MagicJ, I have taken some photos while unpacking the Laguna :)

For size reference, - a bottle of red wine.
IMG_5040.JPG

The pump comes with 2 quick release connections that are able to be adapted to different size hoses.

In the past I have used a small section of flexible hose to transition to the hard plumbing to help eliminate any vibration and humming that could potentially occur.

I will not be using the pump cage. The cage is removed by turning the 4 plastic yellow screws 1/4 turn to the right and the cage is released. Then a clip is released that holds the power cord.
IMG_5041.JPG

IMG_5042.JPG

The pump - Askoll Motor Block - Made in Italy
IMG_5043.JPG

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Nice one :) I used one of these as my return for a while but it got turned in to my IBC pump because I couldn't stand the noise! You definitely need a pad for it to sit on if you remove the cage as the bottom of the pump isn't flat.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Nice one :) I used one of these as my return for a while but it got turned in to my IBC pump because I couldn't stand the noise! You definitely need a pad for it to sit on if you remove the cage as the bottom of the pump isn't flat.
I have seen the stands on Amazon.com and will probably end up getting one as I have no time to make the acrylic one up.

How did you have it installed in your system @Buddy?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Just in my sump with a vinyl hose then pvc pipe.
For some reason it vibrated through my stand a lot so I changed to a DC pump.
My pump is at least 5yrs old now so that may have been a factor in the noise. But the fact that the pump still works great in my IBC is good!

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I had mine hanging from a bit of rubber tubing (I use rigid pipe for all plumbing, but connect pumps via a small bit of rubber tubing to reduce noise). The weight was supported by a small bit of foam. Never heard any vibrations.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I had mine hanging from a bit of rubber tubing (I use rigid pipe for all plumbing, but connect pumps via a small bit of rubber tubing to reduce noise). The weight was supported by a small bit of foam. Never heard any vibrations.
I have had the smaller Lagunas, 5000 & 6000 and both were silent when I used them. I was only concerned because this pump is substantially more output. Only testing with the chiller and media reactors will tell :)

Just in my sump with a vinyl hose then pvc pipe.
For some reason it vibrated through my stand a lot so I changed to a DC pump.
My pump is at least 5yrs old now so that may have been a factor in the noise. But the fact that the pump still works great in my IBC is good!
There are so many factors that could contribute to vibration & noise. It even comes down to the size of the return chamber that the pump is housed in. If the dimensions are close to or equal the resonant frequency (50Hz) then it will naturally be amplified and cause hum. That is why I like my return sections large :)