Tank Journal Archive

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Resurrection - 4ft Bay Tank Reef
Until last year I had been successfully keeping a few marine tanks, a wife & four kids. Then 6 years of battling brain tumours (me) finally became too much and "everything" imploded, hobby, family, income, everything. Anyway that's old news and I provide it for context only.

Now I'm ready to start the marine hobby again, with little money but plenty of time and so, thought I would journal my little experiment. Fortunately my wife and I are facinated by all aspects of the marine world including microfauna. In fact my wife has a nano into which she has never put anything into except natural sea water (NSW), live rock & occassional food and the micro life and mushrooms that spring from nowhere is amazing.

So - we are happy to go very slowly with this project and develop the biosystem while keeping an eye open for good quality, well priced stock, especially frags.

Step 1: Collect all equipment, accessories & resources from around the house and garage. List it to see what I really have & what I need to get. Then sell what I can of surplus stuff to help fund this. As I round it up I'll add to this list.

What I have:
Equipment A - for display tank.
  • 4'x18"x18" bay tank (approx 250 ltrs). Stained 2 door timber stand & hood to match.
  • 3ft x 6 globe T5 lighting unit. All globes working plus 3 spare white + 1 spare actinic. The light unit has two banks of three globes with a switch for each bank. one cord powers the whole unit. 1 globe fitting currently loose and not working.
  • New 300w heater.
  • 2.5' 3 chamber sump that i want to modify a little.
  • Fishbowl Moonlight system with three light output units.
  • 2 x 3500lph Korallia copy powerheads.
Equipment B - other stuff.
  • SunSun 100 litre tank & stand - gave the whole hood unit the flick as they are very dangerous and use uninsulated wire.
  • Clamp on 150w single globe MH light & reflector with 14k globe.
Landscaping.
  • Two foam boxes of base rock (ex live rock, dry for 6 months), about 40kg approx.
  • 1m of 12mm acrylic rid + 1m of 8mm acrylic rod.
Other Stuff.
  • N52 Frag Rack.
  • Bag of frag plugs.
  • 2 x Superglue gel.
  • About 10kg activated carbon.
--------------------------------------------------------
The Display Tank

I had previously painted the back of this tank with black paint & I was very happy with the effect BUT I've discovered that salt destroys the paint (obvious in hindsight) and magnetic powerheads tend to wreck to paint when they have remained in one position too long. I considered using black acrylic on the back as I could use various effects on the acrylic panel to create an illusion of depth but since I'm drilling holes in the back, I don't want the extra sheet interfering with the seal. I've heard that applying signwriter's vinyl is a major PITA but that seems the best option so I'll try to buy some locally or online. I'll stay with the black colour though as it really makes things pop.

As I'm partially parylised I had been avoiding a lot of DIY stuff but it occured to me that if I was that lazy back when they said I would be paraplegic for ever, I wouldn't be walking around the supermarket doing my own shopping (using a shopping trolley as mild support) so stuff it, time to man up and do it all myself. It'll be an interesting challenge and a good example to my kids.

Things I DO Want in the DT
Mysis Shrimp - buy in.
Turbo Snails.
Cerith snails.
Dragon's Tongue algae.
Zooanthid garden.
Coralliamorph (mushroom) garden.
Stomatella snails.
Abalone.
Miniature Sea Hares.
"Deep Purple" Rhodactis - from Matt Richards Aquacultured Coral.
Sea Cucumber - Had them before with no trouble & they're great sand sifters.
A mated pair of Coral Banded Shrimp.

Things I DON'T Want in the DT
Hermit crabs, I'm sick of them killing snails & winding up with empty snail shells everywhere.

Last edited:

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Sounds good - keep us updated! I agree that hermits can be a pain in the ass, I have thought about ditching them myself ...

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
ijg3956 :welcome and good luck getting this tank re-established.

We have quite a few Victorian members to offer advice - whereabouts in Gippsland are you?

And I am sure there are a few people who will help out with some frags when the tank is ready.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Thanks guys (BTW I call everyone guys, yes even gals). Yes all support helps & I'm located in between Meeniyan & Mirboo Nth, near Leongatha in Sth Gippsland.

Well. Today I drove to Frankston Bunarong Aquarium & picked up:
  1. 120 litres of NSW.
  2. Some new high density foam for under the DT (4ft) a the old stuff has compressed to wafer thin.
  3. 5 kg of live rock in the form of two flattish plates for the bommie structure I'm making.
  4. Plus a few coldwater fish for the kid's 38 litre freshwater tank.
I've thrown about 3cm of crushed coral into the old 100 litre sunsun tank (no hood), piled all my old liverock, now base rock in and topped it with the two plates I bought today. So I've started. Next week I'll transfer the coral sand and live rock from my wife's nano which is sitting a couple of towns away & this will go into the 100 litre tank too.

I've stuck in a 300w heater, a 3500lph Korallia copy powerhead & fitted the clamp on 14k 150w metal halide unit. This is for now, the seeding tank. Bringing all my rock & substrate back to life ready for the DT rebuild. I hope to have the DT wet in about three weeks but I'm not in too much of a hurry as I want that seed tank to brew nicely.

Last edited:

Tracey

Jun 9, 2012
Warwick
Hey! I've been watching! Just hadn't commented yet:).
Good luck with the tank ijg3956! I hope it all comes along well for you:D.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Took some pics but camera > pc cord playing up so I'll have to get a new one.

The 100ltr seeding tank is brewing along and an amazing amount of life has come in on the liverock from Frankston. Got a 10c sized urchin wandering around, not sure what type yet, there's sponges and macro algae I've never seen before so hopefully some of that might make it. Heaps of amphipods but haven't seen any copipods yet, pluse I brough the rock over from the wife's tank and along with it a few small mushrooms, a couple of different types of snails, etc.

What I am surprised with is how fast the old dead live rock is seeding. This weekend I'll start practice drilling glass. Pics shortly.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Drilling practice glass today. I've also rounded up most of my aquarium stuff and will update the "what I have" list this weekend.

I'll also be setting up a quarantine tank soon and leaving it setup to mature. This isn't my normal way of running a quarantine tank (QT) but I will be acquiring stock slowly but regularly from about mid October, so I'll keep the QT going for probably six months then I'll revert to my normal QT system. I'll detail my QT procedure further down the track.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
I would be too scared to drill my own glass, lol I have enough trouble putting a nail in straight nvm working with a fragile material.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
I would be too scared to drill my own glass, lol I have enough trouble putting a nail in straight nvm working with a fragile material.
Oh I've got plenty of spare bits to practice on. Apparently the slower you go and the wetter you keep the bit, the better. When I get to drilling the real thing I'm planning on 2 holes per day. Sloooooooooooowly.........

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I thought drilling would be really hard but after a couple of practice holes its pretty easy! About 10 mins for a hole on 10mm glass with a crappy cordless drill, maximum speed and minimum torque. The hardest part is keeping the drill dead square to the hole.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
I'm making a timber template with a hole saw so that the diamond saw will rotate withing the hole in that jig. I would have liked to use a drill press but near impossible with a tank.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Yep I have a few of these - can either sell you one or loan the one I used (happy to post to you):

alh4.googleusercontent.com__MpPBA7sPE_A_T_jfRaE7I8I_AAAAAAAADF7e924aec805971744e0a39a66cf49d67.jpg

Makes drilling easy.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Actually I might buy one instead. I drilled practice hole today without a jig and the result was okay but definitely want a jig for when I do my tank. It will make it so much easier.

Drilling the glass is quite easy surprisingly, as log as its kept wet and cool. I experimented with different speeds and a fast drill produced the worst result. Anywhere up to half speed is good & accurate.

BTW when I've finished with them my glass hole drills will be available for loan. To suit 32mm & 25mm tank outlets.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Posted the first of my excess for sale to fund some acquisitions. Rock seeding in the 100litre going really well.

I did some tests today with correct PH, Salinity, Ammonia 0, Nitrates 0 but phosphates at 5.0. Haven't found the rest of the test kits yet. There's a bit of hair algae springing up along with three really nice macro algae but I'm not too concerned about that, pretty normal with new live rock and among my first fish purchases (in the future) will be a Foxface Rabbitfish & some form of Blenny so they'll take care of that. My last Foxface was an algae eating machine.

Whacking a small canister filter on the seeding tank tomorrow with some carbon, phosphate remover and some filter wool (wool changes daily) until the water is a bit better and more polished. So good to be getting back into it.

I've ordered a new camera to pc cable online and as soon as it arrives I'll get pics up.