Reef Discussion

Mar 1, 2014
Red Sea Reef Salt
Hello there,
I want to know what your thoughts are on red sea coral salt mix.

My LFS is going to stock it and has told me great things but I would like to know from those of you that have tried and tested it.

All comments welcome

Riaan_Tas

Jan 6, 2012
Parkwood Qld
Used it think it's not good ..... elevated levels of cal and alk ... thus your levels will not stabilize .. dissolves ok but with sediment .... just my 2c

lorby

Nov 26, 2012
The blue is fine. Mixes easily and haven't had any issues. I found the coral pro (black bucket) much harder to mix properly, but not impossible. Once mixed well it does the same job just with higher levels. If you've got lots of corals it's probably good as they'll last longer before calc, mag etc drop too low.

Mar 1, 2014
The blue is fine. Mixes easily and haven't had any issues. I found the coral pro (black bucket) much harder to mix properly, but not impossible. Once mixed well it does the same job just with higher levels. If you've got lots of corals it's probably good as they'll last longer before calc, mag etc drop too low.
So did you find it good or just ok. I do have corals and want more. The blue bucket, is that a good mix for corals as well?

lorby

Nov 26, 2012
I don't really have much too compare it too. It's pretty much the only salt I've ever used. Everything in my tanks is still alive if that helps! :P.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
im using the pro at the moment, i like it, it really wasnt that hard for me to mix, and as long as you are mixing the right ammonunt of salt not too much, it mixes quite quickly.

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
I used to use Red Sea coral pro but as the others have said it was a pain to mix sometimes left a lot of sediment and seemed to be cloudy.. I didn't know any different till I swapped out and started using D-D h2ocean and now I would never go back.. In closing Red Sea don't make a bad salt and it is the most used salt in the hobby I just believe all there products are over hyped and over priced.. :)

Mar 1, 2014
I used to use Red Sea coral pro but as the others have said it was a pain to mix sometimes left a lot of sediment and seemed to be cloudy.. I didn't know any different till I swapped out and started using D-D h2ocean and now I would never go back.. In closing Red Sea don't make a bad salt and it is the most used salt in the hobby I just believe all there products are over hyped and over priced.. :)
Thanks for the comment. War is the price/size of your salt that you use?

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
For me a 22kg bucket of the pro costs 120. But in relation to the cloudiness. It does look quite cloudy for a while in the bucket, but apon adding to the tank I can't see the difference

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I have used both coral pro and the normal one (blue bucket) I'm still using the normal one and I am happy with it. The coral pro is designed for frag tanks with elevated levels to enhance coral growth (it will scarfice color)..normal red sea has close to natural salt water levels.
PS. prices vary a lot so shop around .
eg. . Coburg wanted $200 a bucket Williamstown I think was $110

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
$105 for a 23.3kg bucket.. Pretty much the same as coral pro but when comparing the 2 there is a large difference.. Also I like the DD have there salt analysis easily available where as Red Sea don't make it available..

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I use red sea coral pro. never had a problem mixing it and like the fact it mixes quickly. I have never had it go cloudy but I believe the secret to that is to never accidentally leave it to mix for more than 4 hours or it will go cloudy in barrel but clear up in tank fairly fast. I also like the fact it doesn't need aerating while mixing. Our last brand needed aerating and mixing and heating what a hassle.

Mar 1, 2014
I use red sea coral pro. never had a problem mixing it and like the fact it mixes quickly. I have never had it go cloudy but I believe the secret to that is to never accidentally leave it to mix for more than 4 hours or it will go cloudy in barrel but clear up in tank fairly fast. I also like the fact it doesn't need aerating while mixing. Our last brand needed aerating and mixing and heating what a hassle.
Good to know. There has been a lot of people happy with the product. It is sometimes ver hard to compare 2 different salts as it is also long term results and stability.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I started out with Red Sea coral pro and used it for the first 18 months. I always found it to be a great product and mixed easily.
I then changed to NSW and never looked back, everything in the tank loved the natural water. I've sure saved a bit of money to boot.

Mar 1, 2014
I started out with Red Sea coral pro and used it for the first 18 months. I always found it to be a great product and mixed easily.
I then changed to NSW and never looked back, everything in the tank loved the natural water. I've sure saved a bit of money to boot.
Ok so NSW..... How do you know the quality of the water? And how long can you keep it before having it stored in buckets makes it bad? Do you get the water yourself or buy?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Another forum member and I go to Woody Point wharf about every two weeks with our drums and buckets and rope.
We take about half an hour in the beautiful early morning sunshine (thanks to QLD) to fill our drums
Then we go across the road and enjoy a coffee.
So it's a bit of exercise, a bit of sunshine and a bit of coffee.
It costs us nothing for the water and it doesn't go "bad" in drums. We make sure we take the water at least 1 hour before high tide (on the run in) and where we take it there are no boats around. The water is always spot on. (I do a full test on it every so often.)

izzywitt

Oct 21, 2013
I used the normal red sea salt and had very good results with it, mixed very well and was very clear. I will definitely be using it on my new tank. Yes it is a little more pricey than other brands but you can't be cheap in this hobby :) Just my 2c

Mar 1, 2014
Thanks for everyone for having their 2c. Would like to know what salt you have used and preferred and what ones you think are the BEST!