Reef Discussion

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
II was looking at a big tank on RC which had one in it, such an awesome fish, big $$$$ though

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
what sort of $$$$? i havent looked for any info! looks very interesting tho somthing different

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I think that the colour morph of what looks like a yellow tang is horrible. I also hate some of the new clown morphs - picasso's etc. I must admit that I don't agree with this type of 'messing' with nature, although they have been doing it for centuries with freshwater fish.

Did you see the price of the corals :eek:

Gem Tang - looks like they sell for $2,500 - $3,000 in America.

I always thought black tangs were expensive but they are not in the same league as the Gem Tang

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would prefer to set up a massive tank with a crap load of corals if I was to spend that money! thats insane!

I think you will find that different colour morphs are just evolution, the fish will eventually mutate (basically what colour morphs are) naturally with cross breeding and the likes. it is how a lot of the different subs become what they are. clowns are known to do this regularly. cross breeding is just a fact of life, sometimes its good, other times it isnt.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I think that the colour morph of what looks like a yellow tang is horrible. I also hate some of the new clown morphs - picasso's etc. I must admit that I don't agree with this type of 'messing' with nature, although they have been doing it for centuries with freshwater fish.
I dont think that it is messing with nature. Nature messes with itself all the time! When nature does it we call it evolution, when we do it all of a sudden it becomes un-ethical and immorral cross-breeding. A lot of the morphs that have been "created" could already exist in nature but we havent discovered them yet!

Tang

Jul 21, 2011
Sydney
That's an Z.gemmatum Matt.

The tang that will complete my tank. No chance of getting one though.

Black Tangs are boring but at least they are a little cheaper. (Sub $1000)

Tang

Jul 21, 2011
Sydney
Not unless you want to pay around $3k.

Americans and Asians have the monopoly on the Gem tang market.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Yep, Tang is right. Gems are almost always destined for Asia, the US, and Europe. While we can get them... the wait lists make it a horrible prospect. Sadly we tend to get the big ones that are a poo brown instead of the midnight black of the best examples, and they're usually always needed to be transhipped by virtue of where they're shipped from. Shame, the good ones are quite nice fish. Very charismatic.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Is that a white scorpas Matt? Thats awesome, and potentially could be a naturally occuring mutation (all animals have the albino pygmentation gene in them).. Yes I know this isn't a true albino form, but albanism doesn't always mean ghostly white with death red eyes ;)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
A mini school (3) gems went through majectic a few years back, they were $3500 a piece, havnt seen any since. Same guy aparently has an assortment of rare angles including a clarion angel ($10k worth)

My missus freaks out when we have a $500 chevron in the tank