Tank Journal Archive

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Purple
Hi All,
as reported 6 weeks ago, I have the dreaded White Spot in the tank. I have read all sorts of reviews, reports and theories, and asked all sorts of questions - bottom line, it is there, and the only way to deal with it is either to get all the fish out of the tank, and treat them with copper for at least 3 weeks, then into a clean water Q for another 4 weeks. What I was taught was 3 weeks in Quarantine will ensure you are introducing white spot free fish into your DT.
NOT SO. Today it is recognized that the WS parasite has a dormant period in its life cycle, so can remain undetected in your sandbed or rocks, for up to 7 weeks.
With a tank my size, it will already be a monumental effort just to catch all the fish, and a dare say take the better part of 2 weeks. That means whatever way i look at it, I will have a fish-less tank for at least 3 months.
Option 2 is to accept the WS is there, and make sure to keep the fish well fed, with additives/suppliments such as Fish Tonic, Garlic etc and minimize stress. That means also to limit the new fish additions, and space them well. Any new fish to stay in the System Q tank for at least 3 weeks. I have 3 real Q tanks - isolated from the main system. The 4th is a System Q tank, so it is plumbed into the main tank sump.
My rationel is they will get exposed to the WS in the DT, so keep them in the System Q tank, with the same water, where they will get exposed to WS, and at last in the Q tank, I can monitor them, make sure they eat well, dont have to compete for feed in the DT, and settle in. I am hoping it is like infecting them, so they build up a bit moe of a resistance, as in Smallpox etc.
I did this for the 3 Despar Anthiens I had just bought when I found out i had WS, and the Fairy Wrasse. All broke out in the little white spots within 3 or 4 days. I fed them frequently and well, and they never really got "down" as in poor body language, moping in a corner, hiding...etc. After 3 weeks, they had minimal white spots and all ate well, so i took the risk and introduced them into the DT.
I am afraid to say it, but at least so far, after more than 3 weeks, they have settled in well, eat well and have no spots... :cum:dead This is not to say it wont break out at some point.

NowI know I will probably be blasted for this, but one fish on my bucket list is a Purple Tang. I have held off getting one, due to the WS and the fact I had not seen one that is very healthy, cheeky and with attitude, for when he is introduced into the DT and will have the inevitable stand-off with the Yellow Tang.
Well, I saw one, bit my tongue, and even walked out, but a kilometer down the road I turned around and went back to get him.
Say Hi to PT !! Eating like a pig after 3 days in the system Q tank. By this weekend, I expect he will get the first white spots, so lets just hold thumbs, and baby him through it.
I will keep you posted on progress.
Jac

P.S. note the small pink Goni behind him, on the rock. Was doing fine for 3 weeks. On Tuesday I noticed the edges going 'brown". took him downstairs and gave it a wash, and the brown was just jelly-like with dead polyps. !! Hve it a 15 minute dip in Revive, rinsed in fresh salt water and kept him in the stsem Qtank. Yesterday the remaining polyps, about half of the original, were opening nicely, so I thought i may have saved it.
By this morning, the jelly had progressed to the point there is just a 10mm strip of live polyps left. I cleaned it off again, and have dipped it, but fear the worst.
Any idea what is is..it was placed next to a Favia, so dont think it would be tenticles >????

Attachments

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Sorry to hear this news.
Triple outbreaks of WS tipped me over the edge and back to 0.00 salinity tanks.
They don’t make Salt water fish like they used to!
My 2 cents gets thrown in here....
Copper is highly toxic so stay under the recommended dose.
Had a few angels not make it through that treatment.
I have done some experiments with Tetracycline in treating some strange diseases, never got to test it on White Spot though. Bet my left nut I’m sure it would work as I’ve brought some lazy sick fish from the brink of death to to super happy swimmers.
Even a few test fresh water shrimp made it through the treatment, which says a lot really.
Since my two cents is still tossed in the ring my successful treatment on SW fish experiment has included a 50/50 mix of Pimafix and Melafix at 3/4 recommendation dose with a weaker dose of copper.
My thoughts are with you.

Last edited:

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Slin,
thanks mate. I have been researching all over for solutions, options and magic bullets for the WS. After all is said and done, I just did not think the chemical option, copper, was for me. Too toxic, too many possible side effects, plus of course the need to catch every last fish out of my tank first, and having 3 months of nothing.
I am hoping by slowing down the introduction of new fish, feeding them well while in the System Q tank, and letting them get the initial WS outbreak there, will give them a bit of an immunity by the time they are introduced into the DT.
Forgot to mention the other day, that I added the UV sterilizer about 4 weeks ago. We plumbed into into the main return line of water back to the DT. That line is where the water comes for the system Q tank, so end effect is ALL water entering the system Q tank, first passes through the UV sterilizer, then overflows into the filter socks and sump and to the DT tank.
I am sure there will still be some WS spores getting in, but far less , giving new fish a better chance to fight it off .
This is all hypothetical, so hope like hell I am close to the mark.
Jac.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
White spot (ich) is inevitable, ESPECIALLY with tangs, it is what it is. I don't worry about those large spots, it will usually resolve with time. The issue is any secondary infections that take hold, there's where it gets troublesome. I have a wife who's a vet tech so I have access to lots of antibiotics, tetracycline is my usual go to. I treat ALL new fish with Praziquantel, internal parasites WILL kill in short order. I feed it to the fish in mysis, they will usually eat it.

I have a couple of questions:
1- Have you added any new fish?
2- Has a heater malfunctioned? If you've had a temp swing that WILL cause brown jelly in corals.
3- New salt or change from artificial to NSW or vice versa?

A UV sterilizer will help, I use HUGE units in the shop, on the fish systems the UV units are close to 2 metres long, I'm not taking any chances with cooties jumping from tank to tank, been there, done that, lost my ass! Make sure you use the correct size for your tank, bigger is ALWAYS better when it comes to a UV light and change the bulbs ahead of schedule.

I'm still dealing with issues with my leg and I've been in and out of the hospital for the last 3 months so if you need a quicker answer, PM me so I get an email.