Reef Discussion

SteveT

Dec 19, 2015
Prawns In Reef Aquarium
i caught a few very pretty (and fun to watch) stripey prawns at the local waterfront. I am currently preparing my new marine tank for coral etc. put the prawns in so I'd have something to watch while cycling the new tank. Will I need to remove them when I start putting corals in my tank?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
i caught a few very pretty (and fun to watch) stripey prawns at the local waterfront. I am currently preparing my new marine tank for coral etc. put the prawns in so I'd have something to watch while cycling the new tank. Will I need to remove them when I start putting corals in my tank?
Do you reckon they'll survive the cycling stage? If so, I think logically you just have to ID what sort of stripey prawns ... are they coral safe? if so, then personally, there is no harm of leaving them there.

Just my 2 cents :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Oh those are really cool- some have glass shrimp in their tanks with success (introduced as fish food but survived and grew up)but something larger than say an inch and a quarter might prove fatal to a sleeping fish more so if it is a prawn.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Do you reckon they'll survive the cycling stage? If so, I think logically you just have to ID what sort of stripey prawns ... are they coral safe? if so, then personally, there is no harm of leaving them there.

Just my 2 cents :)
prob will survive the cycle!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
When you said prawn I was expecting something enormous. :p Its a shrimp, not sure the name of it, and as long as it survives the cycle they are great clean up crew - they will scavenge any uneaten food for you. If a fish dies, they get to work on it asap. Very efficient.

I don't think it will eat your coral but you will be able to see if its doing it. You may also want to select fish that won't see the shrimp as food if you want to keep them long term as well.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Talking about prawns (shrimps) .. my peppermints disappeared ... what could be the issue? Tang is a vegan, Nemo shouldn't like mint .. Anemone? hmm i kinda doubt it ...

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Talking about prawns (shrimps) .. my peppermints disappeared ... what could be the issue? Tang is a vegan, Nemo shouldn't like mint .. Anemone? hmm i kinda doubt it ...
Try searching for them at night with a torch as they are nocturnal. Look for a swaying back and forth movement on the underside of a rock, especially in small spaces. You might find they've taken up residence at the back of the tank.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Try searching for them at night with a torch as they are nocturnal. Look for a swaying back and forth movement on the underside of a rock, especially in small spaces. You might find they've taken up residence at the back of the tank.
Further to this, get yourself one of those red light torches. Kathmandu has torches that can be used as a red light and I think they are on sale at the moment.

You see heaps more critters at night with the red torch as they don't get scared light they do with the white light.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
The mints used to be out . of course, during feeding time, especially with frozen Mysis ..but they no longer do that which gives me the impression that they're long gone (dead) ...

I'll try what you folks said. thanks!

My apology .. i think i might have hijacked this thread. sorry.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
They may be gone. But I have never had outgoing peppermint shrimp like I hear a lot of folks talk about, even when they had no threats in the tank. I thought mine were gone many times but I even went 6 months without seeing the two I had one time and then one day they were out again!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Peppermints are food for a lot of critters in the ocean, my Comets LOVE them, lol. A larger prawn will not hesitate to eat a smaller one if it gets caught.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I should've cook them myself. I assume they are human-edible?
Prawns are, you're Australian and you don't do shrimp on the barbie? I R disappoint. :D
It would take a metric shittonne of those little Peppermint shrimp to make a meal, especially for me. ;) I honestly don't think they are for human consumption.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Prawns are, you're Australian and you don't do shrimp on the barbie? I R disappoint. :D
It would take a metric shittonne of those little Peppermint shrimp to make a meal, especially for me. ;) I honestly don't think they are for human consumption.
There are these so-called schooling shrimps and they are nice to make shrimps fritters ... i kid you not LOL

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Outback steakhouse says it all the time. I'll tell you this, you lot better cook a better steak than that place does because their food here in the US is horrible. They do some promotion with shrimp on the barbie from time to time.