Tank Journal Archive

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Phosphate !!
Hi,
I am 11 weeks into the cycle. I received my 4 Metal Halide lights last week. The ballasts went missing and only arrived on Tuesday. The Radium MH Bulbs ( 3 x 250W and 1x 400W) also arrived, so i immediately got the lights up.

Prior to this, my Amonina , Nitrite and Nitrate readings were low. All diatom algae had disappeared, then the pink algae came and faded, and I was left with a light green algae on the sand bed. I have limited the fish to a Mimic, Lipstick and Blue tang, a Bicolor angle, 3 PJ cardinals, 1 Bengai, 3 Chromis, and a cleaner wrass. All happy and eating well.
Limited feeding to 2~3 small feeds a day with pellets, and since 10 days also some matured brine shrimp - never more than can be eaten in a 2 minute feeding frenzy.

Ran the lights for about 3 hours on Tuesday evening. next morning, I thought I noticed the algae was a bit darker on the sand bed. Had Frankie here all Wednesday, and the lights were on for 9 hours.
While here he tested my phosphate. I had done a 45% water change a week earlier, so I expected it to be low. Lo and Behold, it was way up there at 0.30 ppm - and as he explained it needs to be way down at 0.01 max.
I had just received my Rowa Carbon and Phos absorber. We put some carbon in a bag and right into the filter sock. The Phos remover needs to run through a reactor, which I have ordered, and had hoped would arrive yesterday, but maybe Monday.
We had a great day with Frankie and his wife, and I learned a lot from him.
When I came down in the morning, I nearly fell over - the whole sand bed was covered with a dark green algae !! If I had any doubts about the MH being able to penetrate a 900mm deep tank, thy were dispelled.

Question is, how best to get this phos level down and fast. ??
I also need to identify how it was able to get this high, after just 11 weeks in cycle, and what I consider disciplined and limited feeding ??
I understand that the Rowa phos remover, once the reactors arrive, will need to be a constant, but how best to go about drastically lowering the present levels, without doing damage to the fish, calcium levels and new sand bed/rock life.
I have rigged up a soda bottle, and plan to suck up /vacuum the sand bed today, to remove the algae.
Should I do another major water change ?

All advise welcome.

Tks
Jac

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Also, what rock did you use again? Live or dry? If dry, I’d suggest you may need a silicate remover as dry rock has been known to have high silicates lately

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Sam,
the driftwood is the thorn in my side, and it will be removed as soon as I can get someone to help. Have the water needed on stand by, so we can empty say 50% to be able to cut it out.
I am sure it has added to the phos, but I am not convinced to this degree. ?
I used the pink RealReef rock - and still wish I had used real Live Rock.
Jac

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I wouldn't be too worried about it. You are gonna get phos and algae for a few months after cycling a tank. Just run some GFO and the algae should slowly die off over the coming weeks/months.
I don't think that having the wood is ideal though.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
11 fish in a tank thats just cycled id be expecting to keep the green lawn till everything settles in and wood, rock and sand setting down and stop leaching anything.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Guys,
thanks for the inputs.
My water parameters seems to have stabalized and were all low... until Frankie brought his Hanna Checker and we did a Phos check - even though I had just done a 45~50% water change a week earlier, it was through the roof at 0.30ppm !!
Needless to say, that got my attention. To drive the point home, the next morning, after the first full day of the new MH lights on, I walk down to discover my new AquaLawn !!
Immediate action - added half the Rowa Phos that just arrived, 500gm, straight into the second filter sock, with lower water flow. Ordered 2 of the Two Little Fishies 500mm reactors. Added about 700 gm of the Rowa Carbon to the first filter sock.
Clearly had an effect - my skimmer started to give waterey foam and overflow.
Saturday I brought in the thick 19mm hose and ran it from the tank to the basement, so i could syphon off the algae mat, through the filter socks. Rigged up a gravel filter - plastic coke bottle, siliconed onto a chck value, glued onto a 60mm long plastic PVC 20mm tube to be able to reach down to the gravel bed. Long story short - not enough suction to suck up the algae. Tried stirring up the sand with algae, but it did not suck up the algae as planned.Sand settled back, so I can at least now see white again, but it covered the algae, so not a solution.
I got a call from Gerhard 'Fishy' that evening. A big thanks mate for your effort and practical advise.
That got me out of bed at 6 yesterday, and started the conversion of the Coral Rubble compartment in the sump, to a Refugium.
Images I will attach, show the before and after.
Water enters through the 3 180mm filter socks, under the weir, and into the coral rubble that had the blue filter mesh on top. Looked like an ideal location for the new Refugium. Removed the rubble, and placed it in the filte sock compartment, under the socks. It still allowed fee water flow. Left the egg crate in, and put the blue filter mat material underneath, to trap loose chato before it goes to the Skimmer.
Frankie had offered me Chato, so called him and drove up to Brisbane to get some. He uses a mix of mainly Chato, but has added some Valesnaria to it. He was kind enough to give me a huge bunch he was about to cull - must be about 3 Kg.
Of course he would not let me leave without adding some corals. I was hesitant, but he assured m the Zoas can take it, so I got a nice patch of Rastis and a replacement of the Sunny D our Hermit had champed last week.
Got home, and split the Chato into 2 buckets with fresh salt, to clean out the algae, and get out bristle works and set aside the small brittle stars. Glad I took that =precaution, as my youngest, 6 year old Matt, spent an hour inspecting the tubs, and found over 25 bristle worms. He also found about the same number of brittle stars, which we put right into the tank.
It was a hectic weekend, but all up, a great result. I am not sure if it was the addition of the Rowa Phos, or the new Chato, but my skimmer crashed again. It just froths watery foam and overflows.I re-set it, and will give it a chance to kick in till this afternoon.
Last night I just placed a spare 30W LED floodlight over the refugium.
I ordered 2 of the 54W full spectrum LED bulbs Gaerhard suggested for the Refugium, ordered my Hanna Low Range Phos Checker. Ordered a 2Kg tub of Rowa Phos, as i am sure i will need it in the coming months.
Hope the 2 reactors arrive today, so I can cut the water pipe and plumb in the manifold for 4 taps, 2 for these reactors, and 2 for what I am sure will come soon enough.
Since Thursday morning's rude shock with the Algae on the sand bed, I have only used 1 of the MH lights, over where the corals are temporarily placed, and for only 3 hours a day. I figure I will build that up, as I start to get the phos to reduce.
I amm sure i missed something, but hope this covers the main events for now.
Thanks to all for the kind advise, and special thanks to Gerhard - I owe you a nice stick of Biltong with a stiff Rum&Coke mate.

Jac

Attachments

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi,
got some Core Flute today, to block light getting into the Sock compartment and Skimmer compartment.
After the coral rubble was under the filte socks, for just 24 hours, I was stunned by the Algae already appearing on my new filter socks. !!
Hope this helps.
New E27 Led bulbs should be here by Thursday. Tried to find goooseneck fittings for them at Bunnings, but no luck. May have to order on eBay.
The Milwakee pH tster arrived this afternoon... but without the electrode... ^^%$#@#

Jac

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Water changes are fresh salt collected at the high tides at the Southport Seaway. Top off is RO/DI. Once I get my Hanna Checker, I will monitor the salt water in the IBCs.

Jac
Reading your update i think you will have it under control and it will just be a waiting game now. I used NSW collected from the noosa river on high tide and nevar had phosphate issues. From what i have read NSW is normally good for phosphate levels.

Also RO water for top off is normaly good. Will keep waytching to see what happens.

Good luck

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi Guys,
finally, ( I hope) something positive to report.
When I got my new Hanna Phosphate Checker on Tuesday, I tested and got a reading of 0.27.
I received the 2 new TLF reactors yesterday, and set them up immediately. One was supposed to be for the Rowa Carbon, but decided to make both phos for now. I was peeved and puzzeled when I did my PO4 test yesterday evening, and got a reading of 0.31. !! #$$@
Since I set up the Refugum on Sunday with a heap of Chato, and now the 2 reactors, I expected even a slightly lower reading.

Plan of action - for sure the Driftwood needs to come out - thats a given, just trying o find someone to help, but hopefully by next week.
That means I will need to dump at least 50% of the water anyway, so a good time to have a major water change.
Before i do that, best to establish a base value for the water I am using.
I tested the water now, in the IBCs - first test 0.37 !! I nearly fell over, as that would mean I hav been adding phos to the system with any water change.
To be frank, I questioned my testing. Washed out everything. Used my new syringe to get a new water sample from the IBSs. Tested again ..... wait for it..... 0.03 :cum
What a relief, a i saw myself having to dump 3 full IBCs ( 3000 Ltrs) of water I have collected.
Ok, so I have a decent base for any new water I use.
Did a new test on my sump. This time, very carefully, I suppose nearly pedantic - every grain of reagent powder out of the sachet, polished the vials.... and..... reading today is .... 0.10 !!! :dead:reading:cum
... and the moral of the story my friends, may well be that I botched the reading the other day ( 0.31)... and this happy camper is lowering the PO4 to respectable levels.

Having said that, I still find it hard to believe, as much as I may want to, that the addition of the 2 reactors yesterday, can drop the PO4 from 0.30 to 0.10 so fast ???

For now, let me feel happy....

Jac

Just let the chaeto do its thing. Soon you’ll have bags of it you can give away to someone that might need it. Nice and natural solution to the phosphate problem. Certainly the best thing I did.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Curious as to how you changed your testing method to get such different readings with the checker?
Did you have smudges on the glass when you were testing?

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Just let the chaeto do its thing. Soon you’ll have bags of it you can give away to someone that might need it. Nice and natural solution to the phosphate problem. Certainly the best thing I did.
The 2 54W full spectrum bulbs arrived yesterday, so got them right in, so I hope th Chato has what it needs to do its job.

Jac