Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
They must be missing a settlement cue, or maybe they are being damaged somehow and need to regrow limbs before they can move onto the next stage?

I have read a journal where L Vittata has settled in 30 days at around 27 degrees - 52 days seems way to long. But, I haven't started yet so what would I know :)

Dave001

Mar 3, 2013
Morayfield
I keep my fry tanks at 28c, some of the GSM hatches reach meta in 10 days, and others take 20 days. I've noticed the longer the eggs take to hatch, the longer the fry will take to reach meta.
This lot of shrimp took 18 days to hatch, so if they are anything like the clowns, settlement will be late.

They are currently being fed 6 day old enhanced brine shrimp in the morning, and a small amount of 200 micron weaning diet in the evening.

Dave001

Mar 3, 2013
Morayfield
The early spawns of these shrimp was around 7 days (27.5c), once the parents matured, it would normally take 14 days, this 18 day lot was with the tanks at 26c.
These days, I'm dropping the broodstock tank temps to 26c over winter, and giving the clowns, and me, a couple of months rest.

I've done a lot of testing with Clownfish, and have found broodstock temps make a huge difference.

Temp - Hatching - Meta
29c - 6 days - 10 days
28c - 7 days - 12 days
27c - 8 days - 15 days
26c - 9 days - 17 days
25c - 10 days - 20 days

I don't know enough about shrimp breeding to say it works the same way, but it does appear too so far, of course I'll need to raise several hatches to settlement, before I will be able to say so with any certainty.

Last edited:

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Congratulations on the first settled shrimp - great pictures as well.

From my limited understanding, the picture of the larval shrimp shows that it has reached Zoea 11 which is the last stage before settlement so hopefully they will all start to settle shortly.

I have read reports of other Lysmata peppermint shrimp species settling at 34 days so it will be very interesting to see how you go with the next batch or if I ever manage to work with some vittata. I wonder of vittata have a longer settlement period than other peps?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
:worship:worship:worship

My current record is 5 days :banghead - I have a few still going at the moment so if they see out the night they will be at Day 6 !!