Reef Discussion

Dave001

Mar 3, 2013
Morayfield
Peppermint Shrimp - Lysmata Vittata?
Anyone know how long this species will carry eggs for, they only info I could find said 10-14 days, but do you start counting from when they molt, or when you see the eggs?

Thanks
Dave

Dave001

Mar 3, 2013
Morayfield
Looks like I can answer my own question, it's 7 days after molt, or 5 days after seeing the eggs, this is at 27.5c.
I had eggs go missing after 5 days on two occasions, tonight was day 5 for the latest lot of eggs, so stuck the larval snagger in at lights out, just went and checked, got about 40 little peppermints.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Sorry @Dave001 - I didn't see this yesterday! Without googling I wouldn't have been able to tell you, even with having had pepp larvae turning up in our tank every few weeks for 6mths lol
So will you be trying your hand at raising those also? You must have a fabulous set up!! You'll have to post pics one day!

Good luck with them and keep us posted!!

Dave001

Mar 3, 2013
Morayfield
All dead today.
I think they might be hatching prematurely, the fry are very small, about three times the size of an L strain rotifer.
They hatched Tuesday night, molted, and where carrying eggs again by Wednesday afternoon, hopefully they will hold them for a bit longer this time, and I'll get some larger fry.

malau

Oct 13, 2011
Did you try to feed the larvae? normally the new born their body is as thick as a hair only...

Dave001

Mar 3, 2013
Morayfield
Harvested a couple hundred more tonight, added some rotifers and NHBBS.
Hopefully they'll make it further then 2 days this time. :)

Dave001

Mar 3, 2013
Morayfield
Bit of an update.
I still have a few left out of the batch from the photo above, lost the majority of them on day 5 though.
The adult shrimp have gotten a bit bigger, and are carrying eggs for 12 days now, the newly hatched shrimp are much larger then the ones from the earlier hatches.

Dave001

Mar 3, 2013
Morayfield
Good timing.
I've never really had much luck with the peppermint shrimp, I would loose the majority at day 7-10, and the rest would die over the next month.
I gave up for several months, but recently decided to build a Kreisel and have a real go at them, it's taken a few hatches to sort out flow, feeding and water change schedules, but I've got a couple of hundred to day 26 at the moment.

I cleaned the kreisel for the first time today, and they still have brine shrimp left in the tank tonight, normally they are all gone by the afternoon, hopefully they'll go back to normal tomorrow, or it will be another lesson learnt, and I'll try something different with the next batch. :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Great news:)

I obtained 4 a few days ago so we might have to compare notes over the next few months.

Am i correct in saying that all pepps in Australia would be L. vittata ?

Dave001

Mar 3, 2013
Morayfield
Am i correct in saying that all pepps in Australia would be L. vittata ?
As far as I know they all are. @Dr. Schell would be the one to ask, he ID'd these ones for me when I first got them.

Here's a couple of pics of my kreisel, it's very rough, I had the flu really bad when I threw it together, it works though. Pics are pretty self explanatory, screen mesh size is 150 microns, water outlet holes are aimed at the screen to help keep it clean.

Side.jpg Top.jpg

I collect the larvae from the brood stock tank with a larval snagger, remove half the water from the kreisel, refill with water from broodstock system, add shrimp, add some NHBBS.
Lighting: 12hrs on, 12 off.
Water changes: 25% every two days. I use a 90 degree fitting on the end of the siphon hose and suck the screen on the filter side, so far this has kept the screen clean. Refill with NSW. Top off with fresh water every couple of days to allow for evaporation.
Feeding: NHBBS, once daily in the morning (as much as they can eat in around 8 hrs, to little food is better then to much) for the first 14 days, then moved over to enhanced (DIY selco) BBS (3-4 days old, so they can eat and gutload).

I started adding crushed flake on day 21, but it pretty much just sank straight to the bottom, made a mess, then ended up blocking the screen, it was the reason I had to clean the tank (they didn't like being moved, I lost about 50 this morning, the others still aren't eating that well, they have lost a lot of appendages). From now on, I plan on sticking with enhanced BS (moving to larger BS as the larvae grow) until they are moved to grow out, where overfeeding will not be a problem.

Dave001

Mar 3, 2013
Morayfield
I have no idea when they will settle.
I got a couple to five and a half weeks once, and they still hadn't settled, so somewhere after that. :)