Reef Discussion

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
PAR Meter in NSW?
Anyone got one I could borrow to use for my tank to get an idea on the readings?

Thanks

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I have been thinking of buying one so that I can measure PAR on my lamps ... would be interesting to know if anyone has one and what kind.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Hey @chimaera,

We thought about getting a par meter also for the same reason. Everything I hear & read is that par is no use to measure LED. I haven't really seen anything say "you need this .... to measure LED"
What are we looking for? According the gods, nothing will replace halide or T5 so why bother with LED. No matter what numbers you put up, what pretty charts showing spectrum that half the people have no idea what there looking at anyway, it wont be good enough for them.

What is required to measure what thing? par pur, lux what?
If someone knows that, fuck, I'll buy one & donate it to the reefuge to hand around.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I think PAR is still a useful measure of LED power even if it doesn't measure certain spectrums, and people still put a fair bit behind decent par numbers. If nothing else I believe par tells you how far the light penetrates and to what degree, what teh spread is etc, so can guide which corals can go where in the tank (eg if PAR is 10 on the sandbed then you're unlikely to get SPS growth).

The Apogee or Seneye look like the best value within reasonable accuracy levels so might pick up one of those.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Yeah seneye seems good value cos it has other uses kinda like when someone says I want a blu ray player I tell them to buy a ps3 2 for the price of one sorta thing

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
seneye wont be the best thing i dno because it is technically a monitor sorta thing so its something someone would wanna keep in their tank than lend it out but if its a group one it should be ok i gues...just dno..

@aussieant32 was looking at getting one a while back

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
u dont need a subscription for the PAR side od things i think its more so for the ammonia monitor and stuff?

but yea a dedicated one would make sense

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Grab a few @aussieant32 lol :)

I just ordered a Lux meter with some some other stuff. We will have a play with it & make sure you can get some sort of reading underwater lol, then it will go out and about on a Reefuge tank tour next year. If it is not up to standard, we will look at getting the Hanna Lux meter @chimaera mentioned above.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
So we got the LUX meter the other week lol, I forgot we had it already :confused: It's nothing to flash & will be easy to move along to the next bloke I think. Had a play & the readings of what I found are below. Do you really need to read the instructions on these things? If you do then I'm phucked cause I didn't lol.

The LED's are 370mm (14.5") above water level & running at 800mA & 100% on the controller. I measured at the centre of the tank for each measurement.........

Cree XT-E Royal blue - 3100
Cree XP-E Blue - 2750
Cree XT-E & XP-E - 6800
Cree XP-G R5 Cool White - 3800
Cree XT-E, XP-E & XP-G R5 - 10800
Cree XP-G Neutral White R5 - 4800
Cree XP-G R5 Cool White & Neutral White - 7000
Cree XT-E, XP-E, XP-G's - 14000
With XT-E & XP-E @100% XP-G's @60% - 13200 which is where the setting are normally sitting.

Once I find some time I will get the hand piece sealed up & get some readings under water at different depths. Then we will start a thread for anyone who wants to borrow the meter. We will get it to you, then when your finished & your readings are posted, it will be up to you to get it to the next one on the list. Sounds easy but it will phuck up somewhere along the line I know. If no one want's it then it will go into the pile in the garage lol. :)

@aussieant32 , do you know where we can get a PAR meter from? do you sell them at work? :)

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
I have a apogee par meter and it is useful to determining t5 bulb deterioration , I don't think it is required on led as there is enuf info out there to know what each units output is and as led don't deteriorate like mh ot t5 there is no need to monitor iMO

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I am yet to see any light unit that can tell you the lighting levels at certain depths of your tank, which really is the main reason for using one.

Also quite a number of LED units do deteriorate quite badly