Reef Discussion

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
Overdosed Alk Big Time! Best Course Of Action?
G'day guys,

Today I was using Randy's Recipe #2 to raise my Alk. I was using the Reef Chemistry Calculator.

Alk was at 130ppm (7.28 dKH) and I was intending to raise it to 147.5 ppm (8.26 dKH). My system volume is 620 Litres. I dosed 868ml!

I dosed it about 3 hours ago and I have just tested the Alk to be 192ppm (10.752 dKH)!!!

I now realise that I had the calculator on gallons and not Litres and I was only actually supposed to dose 229.3ml!

Calcium is at 405ppm. pH is 8.4. Salinity 1.025.

Best course of action from here!??? I can change up to 160L of water at a time but that will take time to heat and dissolve which I've already started doing in case you guys suggest this!

Corals and fish all seem fine for the moment.

0421 158 zero three six

Cheers guys,
Joey

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
The only ASW I have on hand atm is Red Sea Coral Pro which says it mixes to 12.2dKH so I'm not even sure that it's worth a water change?

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
10.752 isnt that bad. but the rapped change in alk is a problem.

1. water changes as many as possable(whats the differance in water temp if its only a few degree i wouldnt bother waiting for it to heat.
2. watch your cal and mag as they will react with the exess alk and most likely decrease.
3. turn off bio-pellet reactor

thats all i can think off.

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
how close are u from the ocien
Hey mate.

I'm ages away from the ocean and have no way of actually collecting any NSW.

Don't have a bio pellet reactor. Difference in temp is at least 7-8 degrees

Changing with the salt I have will be useless because the alk is higher than what's in my tank right now. So would be a waste.

Should I just wait it out for now and just keep an eye on things?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I agree the the actual level is not a major problem, more the significant increase. Are you noticing any effect on the corals?

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Just do water changes. I personally wouldnt worry about the temp issue, but if u wanna do it fast you could add some boiling water to container (not display tank)

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
most of a tanks issues will be solved by a water change/a few water changes. That is where I would start.

Worst thing you could do at this stage is try to buffer with anything else

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
I'm not sure the water changes will help at this stage as previously stated.

The only ASW I have on hand mixes to 12.2dKH which is higher than my tank atm. I don't normally use this salt as I've been using tropic Marin. I purchased it when I started the tank but decided to change my mind at the last minute. I'm fresh out if tropic Marin as of Tuesday just gone.

I will have to try and source some tropic Marin pronto or wait it out

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
There are still no noticeable signs of any ill effect as of yet either.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
sorry skimmed over and missed that bit. :banghead

Agree with @MagicJ just let it be for now, I would get other salt on hand ASAP though as typically with a reef tank the corals will start struggling on a day you cannot get to a shop!

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
Will do. Thanks for the help guys.

Just tested again and it seems it's already on the way down. Now at 189ppm (10.584dKH).

At least it's not on the way up.

All fish are feeding and seem fine as do all corals.

Major lesson learnt today!! Double check your measurements when you gutt tells you "this seems like a lot"

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
There are still no noticeable signs of any ill effect as of yet either.
I don't say this confidentally but I 'think' in your case its no dramas. Alk swings can kill corals, if you had an SPS tank I'd be stressing a lot more than LPS & softies. If anything the LPS are going to recede suddenly, hopefully not entirely so they will grow back.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I have had a couple of huge alk swings, bigger then that, due to faults of my own (forgetting to turn my dosing pump back on etc). Only thing bad to come from it was a couple of SPS frags bleaching, other then that you wouldnt even notice it.

I say just leave it till it finds it's balance again

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I overdosed alk about a month ago, some of my LPS bleached a little but a few weeks later and colour is back to normal for most of them. I've only got a little lobo on the sand that is taking a longer time to recover. Should be fine, I think I probably raised mine way more than yours.

Plus at the tanks stage, you'll be using a bit of alk up anyway as everything balances out.