Reef Discussion

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Our new fish
Morning all,

Running around Melbourne yesterday picking up a new tank, we had a chance to drop in over at Seca aquarium. In the first "bay" of tank's I seen this black and white cool looking fish. Said to Jen " I like that" from about then on we knew he was coming home with us. The worst part is we have forgotten what he is! Will have to call Seca again and find out. Wont we look like right proper dickheads :) Anyone care to guess/tell us what he is?

Also picked up two double bar rabbit fish from Williamstown aquarium as well.

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_SANY2422.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_SANY2425.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_SANY2423.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_SANY2414.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_SANY2413.jpg

All are doing well and have fitted into the greater scheme of things.

HooRoo,
Ken & Jen

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Mate your not cereal are you?!:eek:

We have a big tank sure, but at 90cm that's just silly. You would expect them to ask "what size tank do you have?" don't you? especially for a fish that big.
I'm thinking right now "oh dear"

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
We usually always do some research on the fish we buy but this was an impulse buy on looks and being told it was a peaceful fish. Still a great looking fish in the tank. Why would you capture a fish that can grow nearly a meter long for retail sale? when 95% of home tanks would fall into the 4ft- 6ft size?

Well looks like I'm the new poster boy for "stupidest impulse buy of the year"

Returning him is an option but.......we have the room for him for the next few year's?, we made the mistake, if we return him will they sell him to someone with a 4ft tank? He can't be released back into his natural home. The only place we can think of that could take care of him when fully grown is the Melbourne aquarium. Would they even take him? Will look into that tomorrow. For now we will feed and fatten him up until he out grows our tank, then donate him to the MA. Or the member's here are coming down for a fish dinner if they wont take him!! :eek:

He's like a puppy after one day! he follows us up and down the tank, plays so nicely with the other tank mates & god damn it! I'm attached to him already!! :(

Anyone have any other idea's??

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
He is definitely a nice looking fish - looks like they eat crustaceans, so no shrimps in your tank I am afraid.

You could try MA - not sure if they are in the habit of taking tank busters from private individuals.
I thought about the possibility of eating it :cryMy guess is you couldn't do that after having it in your tank for a few years. I am not sure how quick they grow - I will have a look around tomorrow but doubt I will be able to find the answer.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
He is between 15 - 18cm now Matt. MA do take from private but only if it's something they can use or out of the ordinary. I know of a few tank busters they have accepted. I think one of the giant goramis they have was a donation. We payed $125 for him, not a huge amount, but if we had a 4ft we would be spewing.
After all the aquarium's we have been to this is the first time we have seen something like him. Another reason to stop and think before impulse buying. Silly bloody Kiwi.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Well called Seca today and they tell me he is a Morwong. After searching through images we have come to the same conclusion as Magic. Kudos to Magic on such a quick ID. -1 kudos to me for impulse buying, Lesson learned.

Friesian cow for sale-
House trained, water tolerant, just missing legs and milk appendage. Can also be used as Collingwood supporter's gift!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
From Wikipedia
Morwong is also used as a name for several unrelated fish found in Australian waters, such as the painted sweetlips, Diagramma pictum.
Note - Diagramma pictum is an obsolete name, the correct name is Plectorhinchus picus.

Calling something a morwong is a bit like calling something a clownfish or a tang - you still have no idea what you are getting. Did Seca offer to take it back?

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Firebird- Umm yeah, but he's a really really cool cow! you gotta admit that? He copy's the movements of both the Blue Tang and the Rabbit fish, so cute to watch. (god listen to me! I'm a bloody big girl's blouse!!)

Magic- No they didn't but I didn't have much time as other phones going and I only spoke to a young guy who gave me the name. I didn't get to speak to Robert. I will send them an E-mail tonight.