Reef Discussion

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
Orca 80L Nano Protein Skimmer Suggestions
Hi Guys,

I have an Orca 80L nano all in one with the three compartments across the back. My first tank

The more I read it appears that having a protein skimmer will make life a little easier for water quality and ability to look after corals.

I am looking for recommendations for a skimmer that is suitable for my tank.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Cheers
Chris

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
ok so here is a pic of the back area. It is about 100mm front to back and the overall width is 440mm but is divided into 3 compartments. I currently have filter media in the ;eft compartment and bio balls in the middle one (this pic b4 i put that in)

ai1300.photobucket.com_albums_ag97_Chrisg_75_Marine_20Reef_5BBffb1aaa58b33c646f5ad988d739a58ea.jpg

arn

Jun 12, 2013
North Shore, Sydney
ok so here is a pic of the back area. It is about 100mm front to back and the overall width is 440mm but is divided into 3 compartments. I currently have filter media in the ;eft compartment and bio balls in the middle one (this pic b4 i put that in)

ai1300.photobucket.com_albums_ag97_Chrisg_75_Marine_20Reef_5BBffb1aaa58b33c646f5ad988d739a58ea.jpg
Hi @chrisg_75 There are a a siginficant number of people using the tunze 9002 in the middle compartment for that model of nano. Naqua can supply one in Oz. You'll need the skinny tank cup upgrade if you want to close the hood (mods - sorry if I'm not meant to link to products. delete those links if I wasn't meant to). The JBJ 24 is the American equivalent of that tank (or Boyu MT50 or aquarworld ra05), and a google search seems to suggest that is the way to go. The tunze gets pretty good reviews - here is one applicable to your question.

Hope that helps.

arn

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Hi @chrisg_75 There are a a siginficant number of people using the tunze 9002 in the middle compartment for that model of nano. Naqua can supply one in Oz. You'll need the skinny tank cup upgrade if you want to close the hood (mods - sorry if I'm not meant to link to products. delete those links if I wasn't meant to). The JBJ 24 is the American equivalent of that tank (or Boyu MT50 or aquarworld ra05), and a google search seems to suggest that is the way to go. The tunze gets pretty good reviews - here is one applicable to your question.

Hope that helps.

arn
What he said ;)

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
OK guys.... So with everything else going on the Tunze 9002 skimmer is going to be a little out of my price range for the time being. Anyone have any other suggestions or know of a second hand 9002 that might be available. ?? Im in newcastle so either local or postage woul dhave ot be involved.

Cheers

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
what's your current budget? if you can't afford it right now, you can get away with regular water changes to keep your nutrients down.
with smaller tanks sometimes that's all you need.

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
I am currently doing 20L water changes every week. I have 2 Trochus snails, 4 turbo snails and 2 nassarius snails as well as CB shrimp to help with clean up. I guess just looking to make sure things are good and possibly be able to feed corals a bit without stressing about too much stuff in water contaminating.

I know I would have to get the skinny box top add on to make it work with my nano but adding them both together is breaking the budget a fair bit at the moment. Hence the search for 2nd hand one or reasonable alternative

E

ezza

it would be interesting to see a visual comparison of skimmers and their skimmate quantity in a table. in the interests of science and all. i wonder if anyone's ever done it? it's one of those things... i need visuals to be able to understand.

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
Yeah I totally understand better quality costs more.

I guess am I better to not have anything for a period (unknown at this stage) or to have something not as good but more than nothing.

Open to suggestions. Of course I would like to get the Tunze but with the Skinny cup add on I'm looking at $300 which I can't do at the moment.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
it would be interesting to see a visual comparison of skimmers and their skimmate quantity in a table. in the interests of science and all. i wonder if anyone's ever done it? it's one of those things... i need visuals to be able to understand.
the colour is enough for me. Old skimmer was like a weak tea colour, this one is pretty much black

E

ezza

Yeah I totally understand better quality costs more.

I guess am I better to not have anything for a period (unknown at this stage) or to have something not as good but more than nothing.

Open to suggestions. Of course I would like to get the Tunze but with the Skinny cup add on I'm looking at $300 which I can't do at the moment.
You know what honey. I don't think you should think like that. It's mildly frustrating to me that so many people on the various reef forums share this ideal that you "have" to have the -best- gadgets and nothing else is good enough. I know that obviously if you have endless funds, the sky is the limit... but I also think it is so important to encourage each other regardless of your hardware or budget. Why not just buy something you can afford for now, take advantage of the boost in functionality and then if and whne you feel you are wanting to take the next step up, do it at the right time for you.

People should remember why they are being brought together in places such as this, for the love of the hobby. A little bit of ingenuity never killed anyone. Worst case scenario, yeah you empty the tank a little more... I have been cruising through fish keeping with koi pond and tropical tank in a laughable way. I am always getting funny looks when I talk about what I do... but there is one guy at my local pet shop who shares my deep love for fish and despite my ridiculous tank- he still treats me with respect and I have learnt so much that I get away with keeping an "AquaStyle 126" which is the most ridiculous tiny 20L tank, fully stocked, I change the water once every 3 months, and my fish LOVE it.

My point being, just google around, find somehting you can afford, check out some reviews and if you want... give it a whirl. That's what I plan to do when I take the marine plunge. I've just been scared off for the 50th time. I am now thinking of getting the same tank as you and starting small.

No disrespect to any of the enormously knowledgable people around the forum... but can you help us n00bs a little and think back to when you had to wade through the rock pool, staring into the whitewater of the breakers looming larger than ever in front? I'm sure we've all been in the situation Chris is finding himself in now.

Just hold your breath and jump Chris... I'll be offside holding the floaties ready to follow you. We'll get there mate!

E

ezza

Aquariums at Asquith have an Orca on their countertop near the cash register. If you facebook, their photo album of the tank is https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.476530939029448.126842.128683683814177&type=3 for that tank. The older model of the tank didn't have a skimmer, the newer one does. From memory, their display did not have a skimmer, maybe they can even give you advice if you call on how to manage the filtration effectively.